Got me a kart!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcbreja

Reaction score
A key stock will look like this:

316keystock.jpg

Edit: I just remembered they were molded into the pieces on the driver assembly. You would see them if you took off the driven. You should still be able to clean the driven without taking it off if you haven't already done so.

Filipe

Reaction score
Good news! I took off all the junk around the brake rod. It seems like it was just some home made rust protection put on by a PO. Cheers to that, because he/she didn't care elsewhere...guess you kinda need brakes though. :devil2:

Cleaned the inside of the clutch area today. Happy that I was able to take it apart and put it together with minor struggle. Thanks youtube (and that awesome sticky). The black part that goes in the middle of the pulley passed the clean test, as it slipped right out after I flipped it over.

and yes! I was able to get the :furious2: roll cage off! Didn't have to break the bolt, or spend money on any other chemicals...went straight to the blow torch and smaller wrench size (I had to hammer the d**m thing into place). The Dingo looks pretty bad*** without the cage. :2guns::2guns:

Still pretty clueless as to what a key stock is. Can you identify it in any of the pics I uploaded below? I'm pretty sure all the pieces from the driver pulley are there.

Tomorrow I'll continue with cleaning/sanding the roll cage, now that it is finally off. And maybe sand the pulley area with a wire brush tool like this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/...ab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_9346.jpg

Attachments

• 100_5418.jpg
    100_5418.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_5417.jpg
    100_5417.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_5416.jpg
    100_5416.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_5412.jpg
    100_5412.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 100_5411.jpg
    100_5411.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_5420.jpg
    100_5420.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_5423.jpg
    100_5423.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_5424.jpg
    100_5424.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_5426.jpg
    100_5426.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 9

Mcbreja

Reaction score
Below circled in red, you'll see it in the back plate pulley as well. Not everything has the key molded into it (your driven for example). The key stock performs the same function. That is, to keep the pulley spinning with the shaft.

That notch on your crankshaft is called the key way, the jackshaft (the shaft your driven is on) and the rear axle also have key ways, so if you ever have to do any work on them, it will be important to keep any eye out for the key stocks, so you don't lose them (not that they're hard or expensive to replace).

example.jpg

Filipe

Reaction score
AHA! I think I finally understand. So back in the day those rectangular pieces were separate? Must have been a real PIA. Thanks again for coming through.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Keystock are used for practically everything on a kart, from hubs to clutches. I think it is only those TC's that have them as part of the unit. All other places requires you to use seperate pieces like the pic posted above

Mcbreja

Reaction score
Keystock are used for practically everything on a kart, from hubs to clutches. I think it is only those TC's that have them as part of the unit. All other places requires you to use seperate pieces like the pic posted above
:iagree:

I'll also add that it makes for much easier repair if the key should break.

Filipe

Reaction score
Is it possible to disassemble the steering arm? I got the steering wheel off, but does the bar that goes down to the tie rods come off?

OzFab

Reaction score
When will people learn, don't weld moving parts. People need to think before they act.

Looks like you may be stuck on that one, unless you can somehow cut them off.

Mcbreja

Reaction score
NOT ME!!! I swear, scout's honor and all that. Just a discovery I made when I was putting new pads on. Made for a lot of fun having to pull the whole axle off as opposed to just sliding the disc out of the way.

Filipe, have you taken the tie rods off yet?

Edit: Weeeell, just got back in from the garage, and... uh.. yeah.

:mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::censored:

Filipe

Reaction score
Former Scout Mcbreja??

Good to finally confirm my assumption that you have a dingo haha.

Everything has been removed except the steering colum. Can you take pictures of yours please? Thanks!

OzFab

Reaction score
NOT ME!!! I swear, scout's honor and all that. Just a discovery I made when I was putting new pads on. Made for a lot of fun having to pull the whole axle off as opposed to just sliding the disc out of the way.

That's ok then :roflol: I'll bet it was a big hassle.

That's not the only problem with welding to an axle. The bigger problem is that welding actually weakens the surrounding metal, creating a stress point for future breakage. Nothing to worry about on a solid 1" axle though.

Mcbreja

Reaction score
Former Scout Mcbreja??

Good to finally confirm my assumption that you have a dingo haha.

Everything has been removed except the steering colum. Can you take pictures of yours please? Thanks!

Actually, no. Never was. But I still didn't weld the stop onto the axle. I don't even own a welder (YET).

Hopefully not for much longer, ran into some bills and need the money. I've got it listed for 300 right now, so we'll see.

Mine is welded on as well, I'll take pics if you still want them, but I don't think they're going to help.

Mcbreja

Reaction score
That's ok then :roflol: I'll bet it was a big hassle.

That's not the only problem with welding to an axle. The bigger problem is that welding actually weakens the surrounding metal, creating a stress point for future breakage. Nothing to worry about on a solid 1" axle though.

There was hidden bonus. My rear wheels were wobbling, and apparently I straightened them out quite a bit. They still do, but not nearly as bad.

That's good info to have and I will be sure to keep an eye on the axle now ( if I end up keeping the kart).

Edit: 5.5 Tecumseh. And no, I can't take the column off.

Status
Not open for further replies.