Got a few questions

Jblackwell

New member
Messages
6
Reaction score
6
Hi kart peoples, My name is Jeremiah, I'm new here, got a few questions I'm sure you fine humans could help me find the answers to.

1. Bought a kart off the side of the road for a few hundred bucks, have no idea of the frame make or model. Guy I bought it from doesn't know either but claims they make a roll cage for it. Need help identifying it.

2. It goes pretty good but I'd like it to go a little faster. I was told it was stage 2 predator 212 hemi. Without cracking the engine I can tell the governor was removed, the oil sensor is gone, different carb and exhaust. Not sure if they changed anything else such as flywheel or valvesprings. I want to lean towards no on those items as based on a top speed (via GPS) of 31mph I think the springs are floating around 4600 rpm.

3. While I would like it to go faster, kids also want to put out around the yard and fast doesn't agree with the wife for that application. What would be the easiest or simply best way to achieve both if at all possible?

4. The wheels and tires on the kart are 13x5.00-6(from tractor supply) and 16x6-8 (vtred from presumably gopowersports)
Is this a good selection for a kart driven in dirt/gravel/turf/pavement? I've noticed there's not much selection for tires on the rear with same diameter and rim size.

I'm sure I'll think of more questions later but that's all on my brain at the moment.
 

Attachments

  • 20230627_183656.jpg
    20230627_183656.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21

G.W

Well-known member
Messages
764
Reaction score
499
Location
Nyssa Oregon
1. Not sure the make

2. It's probably just a stage one, is the flywheel aluminum?

3. The stock throttle linkage does have a throttle stop screw you could screw in when the kids ride since it looks like you have a stock carb setup.

Those v trees will tear up the turf, but other than that that's not a bad tire setup.
 

Jblackwell

New member
Messages
6
Reaction score
6
1. Not sure the make

2. It's probably just a stage one, is the flywheel aluminum?

3. The stock throttle linkage does have a throttle stop screw you could screw in when the kids ride since it looks like you have a stock carb setup.

Those v trees will tear up the turf, but other than that that's not a bad tire setup.
Not sure about the flywheel as I havnt removed anything on the engine. That's under the cover that houses the pull cord right?

There is a throttle stop screw on the engine but wouldn't that burn up the clutch by not allowing it to get to high enough rpm and engage fully? (just realized I don't have a Pic of that side of the engine)
 

G.W

Well-known member
Messages
764
Reaction score
499
Location
Nyssa Oregon
Not sure about the flywheel as I havnt removed anything on the engine. That's under the cover that houses the pull cord right?

There is a throttle stop screw on the engine but wouldn't that burn up the clutch by not allowing it to get to high enough rpm and engage fully? (just realized I don't have a Pic of that side of the engine)
Yes, the flywheel is behind the pull chord. Do some research on the particular clutch you have and find out what rpm it fully engages at. You should be able to limit about half the throttle
 

BaconBitRacing

Well-known member
Messages
2,304
Reaction score
1,488
Location
N.C.
:welcome2:
Don't limit the throttle with the clutch, it's a really great way to burn it out, or shorten the life. For starters a 30 series TC will make it go. Many people here use the golden combination of a modded 212 and a 30 series. @BrownStainRacing is a wizard with 'em. Once you have a TC limiting the throttle is a good option. Just don't do it in front of the kids, they are smart lil buggers.
 

panchothedog

Well-known member
Messages
2,918
Reaction score
3,956
For off road use a 30 series torque converter, as suggested by BaconBit is the best thing you could do. Great for put put slow driving, and still plenty of top speed. With a converter you could run taller rear tires. Your 8" rims are the most popular size for off road karts. By a long shot.
 

Jblackwell

New member
Messages
6
Reaction score
6
Pros and cons for smaller tires in front? I think I understand tires being skinnier than the rears for easier steering but the height make a difference?
 
  • Like
Reactions: G.W

panchothedog

Well-known member
Messages
2,918
Reaction score
3,956
I have 4 karts that are used off road exclusively. Rears are 18" to 20" tall. All of the fronts are 15" tall . Don't know if that is right or wrong. Seems to work fine.
 

Jblackwell

New member
Messages
6
Reaction score
6
I have 4 karts that are used off road exclusively. Rears are 18" to 20" tall. All of the fronts are 15" tall . Don't know if that is right or wrong. Seems to work fine.
I might have to try something like that, I noticed there are alot more tire options when you go up to 18 and 20. The vtred is about the only 16x6-8 I saw anywhere
 

Jblackwell

New member
Messages
6
Reaction score
6
After lots of searching I think it may be a Carter 1136. My brake band keeps slipping off of the drum. This probably indicates it's time to replace the band? Drum? Both? (I've limited experience with drum brakes and this is my 1st that's not internally expanding)
 

Denny

Canned Monster
Messages
11,996
Reaction score
8,506
Location
Mayberry, Indiana
Or y
After lots of searching I think it may be a Carter 1136. My brake band keeps slipping off of the drum. This probably indicates it's time to replace the band? Drum? Both? (I've limited experience with drum brakes and this is my 1st that's not internally expanding)
Or you could weld some guides for the band to align on the brake drum.
 
Top