Got a Carter buggy, requesting info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotLash

New member
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Location
Houston
We dragged my wife's old Carter from the lake house and I have started work. The Tecky is out, and the Predator is on the work bench. I have a few questions that are pretty beginner level so please bear with me. :ack2:

The buggy currently runs a differential, which I am looking to replace with a live axle. It's well supported since it's got bearing "tubes" running across most of the axle. Can I make use of the tubes, just put keys where I need them?

I would like to set the cart up to move as efficiently as possible with a max weight of around 500 lbs (cart and two adult passengers). Where can I read in depth regarding kart gear ratios?
ETA: Found good reading here!

I come from the automotive world, so this is a new adventure.
 

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Messages
9,358
Reaction score
93
Location
COMFORT, TEXAS
If Its got t---s or tires your gonna have problems! lol
BTW that link you posted... Is where I learned, along with some questions and advice and reading others success and failure here:thumbsup:
 

MrC.

Member
Messages
238
Reaction score
0
Location
florida
the www.gokartguru.com
is a good site for information. go to the gokart performance program tab/page fill in the blanks and it will tell you what ratio you have and what is ideal.
you can play with the figures until you get it right.
easy and fun
MrC.
 

OzFab

Well-known member
Messages
15,615
Reaction score
72
Location
Warwick Qld, Australia
There's loads of info all over the net & here but, honestly, I'd leave it alone; once you start with live axle conversions you open up a whole can of worms that means messing with everything from the rear axle to the front axle...

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying "don't do it", just be aware of the work involved, it's not as simple as "just changing the rear axle"...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top