got a Briggs with dual shafts off the side of the road!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
got a Briggs off the side of the road! UPDATE: It runs!!!

Attached to an old tiller. I did some research and apparently the one shaft turns at 1/2 speed in reverse and is possibly the cam. The numbers off the engine are 100292 0408 01 7004027
Briggs site did nothing for me. I think I can get it running easily. Oil looks good, spark plug looks shot, compression was present with putting my finger over the plug hole and pulling the recoil. Inside of carb is clean but the bottom of the air filter is nasty. There is some old gas in the bottom of the tank that prevented rusting. What would be the value of an engine like this? It seems they are rare and could be highly desireable for a kart as it could allow for a secondary reverse setup.

KartFab

Reaction score
Maybe $40 as it sits. The carb, and crank, and crankcase cover are worth more if you part it out. Mass produced and are definitely not rare.

Makes me wonder how you would set up reverse. Maybe pulley/tensioner lever?

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
welp, I pulled the engine off the tiller last night and checked for spark, none. Pulled the recoil cover and the flywheel is rusty of course. Not sure I wanna mess with this, though a running engine usually pulls around $75 here.

OzFab

Reaction score
Being as old as it is (1970), more than likely, it has points & condensor ignition which is, more than likely, most of the issue & can be replaced for around $10-$20 (depending on location; that price is based on my location)...

The rust on the flywheel won't help...

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
okay been doing a bit of cleanup on the motor. It has no spark. I sanded the rust off the outside edge of the flywheel and wire wheeled the two legs of the coil, still nothing.

I've got some electronic ignition coils lying around so I think I'm gonna do that swap and see if that works, if not, I'm parting it out.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Points on Briggs are always behind the flywheel AFAIK..
and yes, it has points..

release (do not remove) the flywheel nut;
get a wooden wedge as a lever to "lift" the flywheel off the engine; then tap the flywheel nut (straight!) with a rubber mallet
The flywheel should break loose without damage; just make sure the engine cannot tumble down your workbench :D

'sid

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
Points on Briggs are always behind the flywheel AFAIK..
and yes, it has points..

release (do not remove) the flywheel nut;
get a wooden wedge as a lever to "lift" the flywheel off the engine; then tap the flywheel nut (straight!) with a rubber mallet
The flywheel should break loose without dmage; just make sure the engine cannot tumble down your workbench :D

'sid
it doesn't have a flywheel nut. It has a starter clutch on it. I'm gonna try the magnetron coil I have in a little bit and if that works, great, if not, then I'll pull the flywheel and change points and condenser.

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
UPDATE: coil didn't work as whatever it was for mounted differently and was too far away from the flywheel to generate spark. I pulled the fly/points cover and see it is pretty crusty. I'm gonna sand/clean em up and try it one last time.

dwcopple

backyard hooligan
Reaction score
another update:
cleaning the points did nothing.
I am ordering an ignition tune up kit off Amazon (under $10 shipped) as the final option

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
I need a procedure to understand what you guys are talking about. I own a multimeter or two...

REALLY? ????? You've gotta be kidding me!!!! You don't know THAT!!!!!

Ummmmmmmmmmm......(psssstt.......neither do I......(but don't tell anybody) .....):lolgoku:

EDIT: Actually I do....but only with continuity in this recliner...soooooo.....I'll defer to the mo experienced.....

Status
Not open for further replies.