good $price$ for tubing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfonzo91

New member
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
is $.60 per ft a good price for 2" thick wall?
$.50 for 3.5" thin wall
$.70 for 2.75" thick wall
$.55 for 1.5"
$.50 for 1"
$.25 for .75"
i can get them in 5' to 40' sections
 

ironman

I'm Back!
Messages
906
Reaction score
2
Location
kentucky
To bad your not closer i like to by some 1.5" i built my last kart with 22 feet so that would be $11.10 sounds good to me. I know i spent more than that
 

elfonzo91

New member
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
yeah? i'm working at Webco
i straighten tubes as of now soon i'll be an over head crane operator:devil2:
workers can buy tubes that are "scrap"
scrap usualy means the tube can't b straightened is it is cut the wrong length
 

newrider3

New member
Messages
1,674
Reaction score
5
Location
Colorado
I have to pay a buck or more per foot for anything besides black pipe around here, I'd say you're getting a steal.
 

chetcpo

New member
Messages
44
Reaction score
1
Location
In the hills
Steel prices are down right now. I just helped a buddy weld up a Lotus 7 frame and we used 1x1 .065 rectangular tube that I purchased for $.47 a foot locally. We built the suspension bits (a arms) from 1"x.065 round DOM which we paid $2 a foot for, but as high as that sounds it's actually pretty cheap for seamless DOM. Locally the square is sold in 24' lengths and the DOM in 20' lengths. It seems that I see a lot of karts built from really thick wall tubing. Usually around the order of .120 from what I've seen which seems like overkill to me. The kart I've been working on is made from some really thick stuff too. It looks to me like they could make these things a lot lighter if they triangulated things a bit and used thinner tubes. The thick stuff is however easier to bend without ovalizing, so maybe it's favored because it's easier to bend and weld.

FWIW I found your reference to "thin wall" and "thick wall" is a bit confusing. Those terms are pretty subjective and could mean a lot of different things. I know people who consider .120 thin, and I, and others I would imagine would consider that to be pretty thick tubing to use for frame construction.

For those who don't have good steel distributors locally I recommend onlinemetals.com and their competitor metalsdepot.com. I've used them both when ordering odd sizes in small amounts and their prices are decent.
 

elfonzo91

New member
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
1/4" thick walls
i bought 20feet of the 2.195" for$12
i think i will use it for a go kart frame
what are some good ideas?
 

ktm450exc

New member
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Steel prices are down right now. I just helped a buddy weld up a Lotus 7 frame and we used 1x1 .065 rectangular tube that I purchased for $.47 a foot locally. We built the suspension bits (a arms) from 1"x.065 round DOM which we paid $2 a foot for, but as high as that sounds it's actually pretty cheap for seamless DOM. Locally the square is sold in 24' lengths and the DOM in 20' lengths. It seems that I see a lot of karts built from really thick wall tubing. Usually around the order of .120 from what I've seen which seems like overkill to me. The kart I've been working on is made from some really thick stuff too. It looks to me like they could make these things a lot lighter if they triangulated things a bit and used thinner tubes. The thick stuff is however easier to bend without ovalizing, so maybe it's favored because it's easier to bend and weld.

FWIW I found your reference to "thin wall" and "thick wall" is a bit confusing. Those terms are pretty subjective and could mean a lot of different things. I know people who consider .120 thin, and I, and others I would imagine would consider that to be pretty thick tubing to use for frame construction.

For those who don't have good steel distributors locally I recommend onlinemetals.com and their competitor metalsdepot.com. I've used them both when ordering odd sizes in small amounts and their prices are decent.

A little more info on the Lotus 7. Is the frame mainly 1'x 1" rec. tube?? What are you guys using to weld it up ??(mig, tig)

Always thought the Super 7's were cool
 

modelengineer

Lord of the noise
Messages
1,609
Reaction score
2
Location
Sydney, Australia
As someone about to start on a Lotus 7, I'll say that most frames are 1" x 1" x 1/16".

The frame I'll be constructing:



A bit more rigid than the standard frame since here in Australia the chassis must be torsion tested and achieve more than 4,000 Nm/deg. A normal seven chassis struggles to get 2,000 Nm/deg.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top