good deal for a good shifter kart engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm going to be making a race style go kart frame. my current plan is to use all the parts off my current kart, but i would like more performance (of course!).

anyhow, i was poking around on cl looking for an 80 or so cc, four stroke, brand name dirt bike. i found this,
http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/mcy/2445571672.html
looks like a good deal to me, my questions:

1. think this thing should have enough power. i think so, i would like to spin the tires, but as long as it has decent acceleration i'm happy! will be in a neighborhood, so quite = good, that's why i went 4 stroke instead of the preferable 2. all riding will be on the street, with a few little hills, i'm only 135lbs. i know most shifters use at least an 80 2 stroke, but they go super fast, i don't need that, cruising at about 35mph without revving it up a ton would be awesome!

2. the price look good? i think if i could get it for maybe $300 and sell off most of the parts it would not cost me that much. i'm going to try and figure out exactly whats wrong with the engine, that will kinda determine things.

IDK, i have zero experience with dirt bike engines, so i may be wayyyy off, but 10hp with a 5 speed tranny, i think it can do so.

Thanks!

anderkart

Reaction score
Hey I used to ride my wife's old XR75 way back in the stone age when Jimmy Carter was president.
I weighed 265lb back then, that little bike held up great and hauled my big butt around pretty dang quick.

It doesn't sound like he has a title or any type of paperwork... So make sure the sr.#'s haven't been ground off, and get a signed bill of sale if you buy it.

r97

Measure twice cut once
Reaction score
ok, thanks, if the guy replies to my first e-mail i will ask him about the bill of sale, and look for serial numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.