gokart clutch burning and not moving?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gokart12

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
hi, I had a torque convetor setup up but that wasn't working it was catching so I got rid of it to just run the simple clutch, I put the clutch on I think it may be a 12t and when I go to take off it barely goes and when I stopped it was smoking bad? are my tires to big I have a manco force five kart the rear tires are 18x10x8
 

colestreasures

New member
Messages
465
Reaction score
1
Location
Kentucky
The converter probably just needed a little maintenance. It's probably just dry . JMO do you have any pics of your setup now and with the converter ?
Cole
 

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Messages
6,622
Reaction score
45
Location
Huntington Station, Long Island, NY
Figuring out correct ratios is a real sticking point with many (most) new posters.
I am not understanding the rational behind just replacing the CVT with a centrifugal clutch.
A CVT is not ornamentation but is used for a reason.
Kart manufacturers would prefer to keep costs down. Using a centrifugal clutch would help to achieve that end.
A problem arises when tire diameters start getting around 15".
I posted this in August:
From gokartsupply.com:
"Clutch warranty: How long will the clutch last? If it's installed on the engine crankshaft properly, without using the "magic hammer" to pound it on the shaft, using the right length key (half inch) and observing all the hints that are pointed out in this article, a clutch should last several years. But, if it's improperly installed, driven in abusive conditions (sand, steep terrain, excessive weight in the kart or rear tires taller than 15 inches), the clutch might only last 20 minutes. If the shoes are blued don't bother sending the clutch back for a warranty replacement. Heat damage is not a factory defect, it wasn't sold with blued shoes. If the clutch is abused, the tell tale signs are easy to spot. Go Karts with rear tires taller than 15 inches or an engine larger than 8 horsepower require a torque converter. If your kart has rear rims larger than 6 inches you'll have to install a Torque Converter that uses a belt and a chain. The last number of the tire size is the rim size."

BMI karts (among many others) post similar statements.
 

itsid

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
11,563
Reaction score
251
Location
Ruhrpott [Germany]
it's a simplification... but it still holds true in most cases...

Pesonally, I think the 18" wheels are only half of the problem, I'd bet the gear ratio itself is insane as well.. because someone (PO or yourself) geared to reach an impossible top speed...

So, let's keep it short.. with a heavy kart and that wheels, you'd need a gear ratio of 11.5 or 12:1 on a #35 chain (12T clutch) that's 138-144 Teeth on the axle sprocket
I know NO manufacturer for sprockets that big!!

So to achieve that you need a jackshaft, do you have a jackshaft??

With a TC you can get away with maybe 8:1 -that's a 96T axle sprocket-...
depends on your weight (kart plus driver)

'sid
 

gokart12

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
thanks guys, I think I will just replace the torque convertor that should work because the one I had was worn out.
 

mckutzy

Well-known member
Messages
8,353
Reaction score
110
Location
bc, canada
Remember they're not cheap.
Why not post some pics as to, and describe what happened with the previous TC. We might be able to help salvage the thing and get you up and running quicker than buying a new one.
 

gokart12

New member
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
hey thanks guys but I gave the tq to a buddy of mine should have kept it and fixed it lol, probally just needed cleaning, but I thought the clutch would work that why I got rid of it, and the clutch never worked out lol, but I will buy one I seen them for about 110 bucks , hopefully that solves all the problems of the kart not moving.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top