Go kart wheels always turning.

Yerfman56

Reaction score
Hello, I just bought a small yerf dog kart and put a predator 212 engine on it. It has a 20 series torque converter, and I just bought the correct comet belt for it and installed it, and when I start the kart the driven just grabs the belt and pulls it. I know I have the correct belt, I used a chart online to find it, and it has plenty of slack. I'm I missing something? The belt also lines up good.

Attachments

• 16868515083936785238668096520068.jpg
    16868515083936785238668096520068.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 14
  • 16868515321867121384070566815697.jpg
    16868515321867121384070566815697.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14

G.W

Reaction score
A 20 series is not rated for that hp, get a 30 series, the belt should still work with a 30 series

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
A 20 series is not rated for that hp, get a 30 series, the belt should still work with a 30 series
Nope, 20 series belts are the same on both sides, 30s have different sides. Other than that great info :thumbsup:

Reactions: G.W

Yerfman56

Reaction score
I know I need a 30 series but for now I have to get the current clutch working. Any ideas why it would be doing this?

Yerfman56

Reaction score
I looked up a parts diagram and my clutch seems to be missing a small bushing in the center. Would that be a bushing the belt can roll on?

BaconBitRacing

Reaction score
I know I need a 30 series but for now I have to get the current clutch working. Any ideas why it would be doing this?
Okay. Check out the engine idle. Is it high? Try lowering the idle a little bit. If the wheels are still turning when lowering the idle some then something else is a problem.

If you are missing a part that is could be an issue. Try that.

G.W

Reaction score
It's probably the weight
S in the tc. Since the weights are probably lighter for a smler engine they are probably engaging it when it is running.

Lift the rear up and fire it up. Watch the belt, it will probably be tighter when it is idling that when it is sitting there not running.

Yerfman56

Reaction score
Thanks, I tried your suggestions. I lowered the idle and same issue, it turns the wheels even when pulling the starter rope. It almost seems as if the weights are permanently out farther than they should be because the belt just grabs really easy on the driver even when it's not running. You can't even push the kart without it turning the engine.

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
Thanks, I tried your suggestions. I lowered the idle and same issue, it turns the wheels even when pulling the starter rope. It almost seems as if the weights are permanently out farther than they should be because the belt just grabs really easy on the driver even when it's not running. You can't even push the kart without it turning the engine.
Take the driver off, inspect and clean it. The inner hub should slide very easily.

The rust will grap the belt. Those parts need to be smooth. No rust, no pitting.

Reactions: G.W

Yerfman56

Reaction score
No I don't have any bushing. There was some surface rust so I sanded that and it's all smooth now. It's better but still likes to grab the belt at idle.

Yerfman56

Reaction score
I know the belt it the right width but it's acting like it's too wide so it grabs the sides before it touches the bottom

G.W

Reaction score
I know the belt it the right width but it's acting like it's too wide so it grabs the sides before it touches the bottom
There is supposed to be a bushing in the bottom, theybcan also be a spacer for keeping the driver at the correct width at idle

Yerfman56

Reaction score
Ok thanks for all your help. I think I'm going to just make a small spacer to increase the width of the clutch. And possibly try to find the brass bushing on ebay or amazon.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Y’all are giving bad information! The 20 series will be fine on there. It sounds like you may have a weak spring for the weights in the primary (drive) clutch. Remove the center crank bolt and slide off the cover for the drive and check the spring for kinking and that it lays out perfectly straight and flat. Where’s JimD when we need him? Report back when you have done all that. Pictures are good too!

Yerfman56

Reaction score
I ended up fixing the problem. The weights that swing out are on two little metal rods, and they were slightly bent. So when the weight would swing out they would get stuck, but by the time I impacted the clutch bolt off they would swing back closed from the Vibration. So I straightened them out and everything seems to be working good now. The springs were good, it was just the rod. Thanks for your help.

BrownStainRacing

Reaction score
I ended up fixing the problem. The weights that swing out are on two little metal rods, and they were slightly bent. So when the weight would swing out they would get stuck, but by the time I impacted the clutch bolt off they would swing back closed from the Vibration. So I straightened them out and everything seems to be working good now. The springs were good, it was just the rod. Thanks for your help.

Good job!!! 👍
Clean and inspection, will usually find the problem.

Get out there and have fun, while being safe !!!!!