Go Kart Steering

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcharles

jcharles
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
I just purchased a used 2 seater go kart. The steering is very tight. What are the steps i should follow to help with this issue. Thank you
 

DCProductions

Cockney Ragamuffin
Messages
496
Reaction score
0
Location
Louisiana, USA
"Tight" as in hard to move, I assume; if that is the case, I would check to see if all the steering components are lubricated/greased properly: spindles, heims, shaft, pitman. Also check to see if something is contacting the frame or another part and causing friction.
 

jcharles

jcharles
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Yes, tight as in hard to turn to the left or right. I will post some pictures tonight after work. Thank you for your responses.
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Raise the front of the kart off the ground and remove the wheels. Next, disconnect your tie rods (one end of each will be fine). Turn the steering wheel, and feel for stiffness. If it is stiff, the bearings, bushings, or whatever other pivot methods yours uses, need attention. A good greasing might do it, but inspect for excessive wear. Disassembly will produce the best results. Now, swivel each spindle by hand, and follow the above protocol.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top