Go Kart Steering Angle?

SquidBonez

Reaction score
I'm currently tuning my steering system in a custom mini-buggy. Right now the steering is almost a 1:1 ratio with TONS of steering angle, but you can't even turn the wheel unless the buggy is moving since the steering is so tight. I'm thinking about dropping the steering ratio down to a 1.5:1 at the cost of some angle. My question is how much angle is enough? Here is a picture of how much angle I'm estimating it will have after the steering reduction.
20220928_214257.jpg

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
You should aim for setting up as much steering angle as you could possibly use, and then decide from there how many degrees of steering wheel revolution you want to turn it to get that much steering angle.
The ratio would be irrelevant as to difficulty turning the steering wheel if you alter the ratio of the steering wheel by making a chain drive using 2 different size sprockets. I made that on my big kart from the center-steer position to the tierods, and yet another one (2 reductions in a row) from the left-drive position to the center-drive. That side turns like power steering.

Attachments

• IMG_20210710_163030 (1).jpg
    IMG_20210710_163030 (1).jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20210815_152648.jpg
    IMG_20210815_152648.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20210815_152522.jpg
    IMG_20210815_152522.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20210815_152558_1CS.jpg
    IMG_20210815_152558_1CS.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

SquidBonez

Reaction score
You should aim for setting up as much steering angle as you could possibly use, and then decide from there how many degrees of steering wheel revolution you want to turn it to get that much steering angle.
The ratio would be irrelevant as to difficulty turning the steering wheel if you alter the ratio of the steering wheel by making a chain drive using 2 different size sprockets. I made that on my big kart from the center-steer position to the tierods, and yet another one (2 reductions in a row) from the left-drive position to the center-drive. That side turns like power steering.
We have different types of steering systems. Mine is more similar to a standard go kart while yours has a reduction gear. The max revolution of my steering wheel is a little under 180°, just like any other go kart.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
The max revolution of my steering wheel is a little under 180°, just like any other go kart.
There's another thing I wanted to learn.............I've long wondered if a short steering wheel radius range like that was standard for most, it's seemed that way to me over the years.
I remember clearly how my desire for more radius to avoid some twitchiness came about...............It was from a helmet-cam video of a gokart race on a long and nicely twisting asphalt course. You could see that the driver's hands never moved right/left more than about 6", and I knew right away that my shaky old nearsighted and half deaf self would flip one of those karts before I ever saw the start line a second time.
As my 3rd exwife said about going from an Olds 442 to a 4-door grocery-getter, "Been there, did that. I'm ready for some comfort."

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Who cares how hard it steers when it is sitting still? The only thing that matters I’d how it feels when it is moving.

SquidBonez

Reaction score
Who cares how hard it steers when it is sitting still? The only thing that matters I’d how it feels when it is moving.
True, but I mean I'd at least like to be ABLE to steer while stationary if need be. Just modified the steering links and it's much better. Full update in my build thread to come.