Go Kart Purchase Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

D_dog556

New member
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Hey everyone,
I have been browsing your forum for quite a few weeks and found alot of useful information. Since alot of the people on here know what there talking about I made an account to get some advice on what I should offer for a half built Go Kart.

The kart has a:
3.5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine. Purchase 5-6 years ago but only run once. Horizontal shaft and I think a 3/4" shaft diameter.
A fully fabricated frame with body panels.
A steering wheel.
A steering hub and shaft.
A rear axle.
2 Independents mounts for the front wheels.

What it doesn't have:

Wheels.
Centifugal clutch.
Axle sprocket.
No way to mount rear wheels with out more parts.
A seat. :p
There will be no suspension for it.

I am just wondering what I should offer for it. Is it even worth it?
My shop teacher is selling it but he is leaving in 6 days for the rest of the school year.

If this helps the cart + myself will weigh about 175-225 lb.

Thanks for the help,
D_dog556.

Edit: Has no brakes either. (Those are important) :p
 
Last edited:

D_dog556

New member
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Thanks for the welcome. Unfortunately I cannot get pictures. It is locked in a shed at the shop.

I will see what I can do but there is no guarentee that I will be able to get any pictures.
 

D_dog556

New member
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Yes. The materials are all new. They wern't taken off anything else before. It is all rust free and painted. Its just 5-6 years old. Still in great shape.

Yes, my instructor made the frame. He has been in the autobody trade for almost 40 years and I trust his work completely.
 

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
12
Location
Cornwall, UK
The kart has a:
3.5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine. Worth $30 or so.
A fully fabricated frame with body panels. Depending on the quality, I would say from $10-80
A steering wheel. $15
A steering hub and shaft. $15
A rear axle. $15
2 Independents mounts for the front wheels. $15

I would try offering $100, however pics are needed.
Are the welds good, and what sort of frame?
 

D_dog556

New member
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
It is just a rectangular frame. 14 gauge 1 1/4" square steel tubing. The welds seem strong. They are also quite smooth and clean.

Also how fast would 3.5 hp move 200 lb with a 5:1 gear ratio (rear axle: clutch)?

Edit: Thanks for the estimate. I couldn't find much on the internet. The engine price I am still not sure of. New 3.5-4 horse engines sell for $300. I don't think the price would be that much different for a mint condition 2006.
 

D_dog556

New member
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Canada. Southern Alberta. Halfway between Calgary and Lethbridge. Hopefully you know where they are lol.
I may be able to get pictures. Do you just need a picture of the motor or the whole thing? It is propped up on a wall behind alot of wood. It is mostly a materials shed.
 

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
12
Location
Cornwall, UK
I didn't realise the engine was new 5 years ago.
if you get it I would sell the engine and get something 5hp+
 

bighead

New member
Messages
4,022
Reaction score
54
Location
Pacific Northwest USA
A fully fabricated frame with body panels seems very nice. But without pics it's hard to say. I would find out how much more welding needs to be done first? More so if you do not have a welder.
 

D_dog556

New member
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
I have access to a welder. I don't think there is much more welding to do. The drive sprocket needs to be welded to the axle. Some cutting will ned to be done to fit a larger engine on the kart.
 

bighead

New member
Messages
4,022
Reaction score
54
Location
Pacific Northwest USA
Canada. Southern Alberta. Halfway between Calgary and Lethbridge. Hopefully you know where they are lol.
I may be able to get pictures. Do you just need a picture of the motor or the whole thing? It is propped up on a wall behind alot of wood. It is mostly a materials shed.

If you post pic asap you will know from the members here if it is a good deal. Really the smartest thing you could do is post some pics here.

What is he asking?
 

D_dog556

New member
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
How else would I connect it? I have been searching on Princess Auto and the only sprockets they have are weld on sprockets.

I have some research to do. Luckily my dad is a mechanic by trade. He is going to help me on this project. The problem is we don't know much about the small hp engines. We just know how to install and fix them :p

P.S. Thanks for all the help. I will try to get some pictures tommorow. I probably won't get very good pitctures of the frame but the engine is fairly accesible.

Edit: Also I am thinking of getting my own welder. It won't be used very often. I don't need a super expensive one. I just need a few suggestions.
Thanks,
D_dog556.
 

bighead

New member
Messages
4,022
Reaction score
54
Location
Pacific Northwest USA
How else would I connect it? I have been searching on Princess Auto and the only sprockets they have are weld on sprockets.

I have some research to do. Luckily my dad is a mechanic by trade. He is going to help me on this project. The problem is we don't know much about the small hp engines. We just know how to install and fix them :p

P.S. Thanks for all the help. I will try to get some pictures tommorow. I probably won't get very good pitctures of the frame but the engine is fairly accesible.

Try to ge pic of the frame. The engine is little in value depending on frame size.
 

landuse

Moderator
Staff member
Messages
18,798
Reaction score
602
Location
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
Try not to weld sprocket to axle.

You can buy sprocket hubs that fit onto your axle and are held on with a keyway and key. Your sprocket then just bolts onto it. This allows you to swap out your sprockets if you ever want to change. If you weld it on.....that is what you are going to have forever (unless you grind it off).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top