Go-Kart Market Niche: Power and Performance with a Limited Budget

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randii'sBort

Reaction score
Hello again everyone! My groups senior project has changed focus from safety to performance, as it's something we are more passionate about. With that said, we will not be ignoring safety completely. If you could take the following survey about performance it would be greatly appreciated!

Survey Link:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...DPTlM_5ASAbSvaxiEVjHfqDQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

Also, if anyone has other input or feedback about building a go kart, it would be greatly appreciated! We are also looking for individual experts on subjects such as small engine build or drive train ratios.
:auto:

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
I'm not giving up my speed secrets. I have already told Bob to much and may have to kill him now. Sorry Bob. :oops:

Denny

mckutzy

Reaction score
From what I have seen all the years here... A number of people seem to choose 1 and 2....
Not 3... I wonder why????? :~

Functional Artist

Reaction score
From what I have seen all the years here... A number of people seem to choose 1 and 2....
Not 3... I wonder why????? :~

3 should be mandatory :thumbsup:

1 & 2 gives you options or room to work with
(how fast you wanna go or how much you wanna spend etc.)

but,

...unless your lookin' for trouble

Safety comes first :cheers2:

KartFab

Reaction score
people want MAX POWER for under $100, or 'free'. seems like a lot of the people that i run into that are just figuring things out are terrified to open up their engine, and just do a stage 1 kit (bolt on header, high flow intake, and rejet), then tie back the governor and hope it all works out.

By the time you decide to really step up your engine build, you end up paying more for performance parts than you would for a stock dirt bike engine that puts out more hp and rpm.

Still pretty fun though.

TT540

Newb
Reaction score
Survey done. I think store bought stuff does a good job at safety. Then we modify it to push that envelope. some go too far and some do so with too "old" of junk that is not maintained and somewhat wrecked.

If Karting had a salvaged title concept, there would be no DIY at all, because most people start with broke junk and Frankenstein it back to life.

anickode

Reaction score
Survey done. I think store bought stuff does a good job at safety. Then we modify it to push that envelope. some go too far and some do so with too "old" of junk that is not maintained and somewhat wrecked.

If Karting had a salvaged title concept, there would be no DIY at all, because most people start with broke junk and Frankenstein it back to life.

That's the glory of diy karting! Take junk and turn it into something fun and dangerous!

jandj

Reaction score
IMHO, one of the leading causes of "Saw the road, saw the sky, saw the ground!" is hopping up a motor to the point there's much more motor available than the yard kart it's bolted to is designed for.
Kind of like a Turbo Offy in a 8N tractor.
It'll go like **** but the end result is going to hurt.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
as mc said, we strive for safety..
I'd rephrase that and say we strive for FUN.
but knowing that the only thing less funny than getting hurt is getting killed
we want to avoid both of those for very obvious reasons :D

it's better to push your car (kart for this topic) to its limits than getting pushed by it over yours.

you can easily improve your kart AFTER stressing it's limits,
you might not be able to improve your skills once you hit that tree at 60mph on a kart;
as simple as that.

'sid

Status
Not open for further replies.