go kart brake problems

64cyclone

Reaction score
i have a 70s f1 gokart and it uses this style of brakes and was sure if i should keep using or ditch and do a different style of brakes. Because ive been using my feet to stop it. but now its getting dangerous in the snow or anywhere else pretty muchView attachment 143800

Mgerard

Reaction score
Maybe see if your brake cable has slack. If that’s not it just find a manual and a part number and replace with original equipment. Could be your brake cables a bit worn or loose, you might check that first.

JimD

Reaction score
You have a brake band which was used by a lot of mini-bike people and still used on the small 120 snowmobiles. Do you still have the pin that goes in the back hole of the band brake? It has a hole that the cables passes through and a set screw to secure the cable in the pin.

64cyclone

Reaction score
You have a brake band which was used by a lot of mini-bike people and still used on the small 120 snowmobiles. Do you still have the pin that goes in the back hole of the band brake? It has a hole that the cables passes through and a set screw to secure the cable in the pin.
yes but i only have 1 pin the other one fell off

JimD

Reaction score
There is only one pin with the cable through it, the first opening is for a FIXED pivot point, the cable is pulled towards the fixed point which is what puts the pressure on the brake band. Normally on the kart there would be a bracket welded to the frame that had a 3/8" bolt welded to the frame of the kart which held the front part of the brake band, then the cable passed over this to the pin. When you applied the brake it pulls the cable forward thus clamping on the brake drum. I would guess you are missing the fixed pin to the frame. It should be welded to the frame or a bracket and normally there was a hole drilled on the end to slip a cotter key in there to hold it in place. Ask on the site for someone to take a picture of their set up. All the karts I have have disk brakes so i cannot help with a picture but I do have the pins for the brake cable.

JimD

Reaction score
Thank you for the drawing ezcome-ezgo better than a picture. That is how the brake band works, so that is how you have to set it up if you want yours to work properly. One end of the band HAS to be fixed, if is not then it would rotate around with the wheel.

64cyclone

Reaction score
Thank you for the drawing ezcome-ezgo better than a picture. That is how the brake band works, so that is how you have to set it up if you want yours to work properly. One end of the band HAS to be fixed, if is not then it would rotate around with the wheel.
ok I will put it in a fixed position