• OFF TOPIC fun forum - NO politics - NO religion - NO jerks. It's not complicated. Thanks!

Global warming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Ok...this has ALWAYS been a little bit of a sore point for me.

WHAT THE HECK DOES WHETHER WE DESTROY THE PLANET HAVE TO DO WITH POLITICS?

Now, we can all agree to disagree, but WHY? Does this bother me?

It's not the old Superman episode where the planet moves too close to the sun and fries! It's subtle changes in the ocean temperature!!!

Over and over....I hear: " Just let nature take it's course!"

No problem!!!! What you fail to factor in....is that the ultimate end game is THE HUMAN RACE is now extinct!!!!:

Let me tell you why: STAY WITH ME HERE:.....

Oh...why worry about toads?

Well, because toads control the most DANGEROUS animal known to man! Toads and frogs are on the decline.

Soooo..WHY? ( Must be the Democrats!)

REALLY? ( Probably not.) But here is where you have to use your brains a bit and think. Am I trying to pin the problem on one political party? ABOSULETY NOT!!!!

This is what I've been trying to say for a while now. GLOBAL WARMING IS REAL. IT WILL IMPACT OUR LIVES. AND TO IGNORE IT BECAUSE IT DOESN'T FIT YOUR POLITICAL AGENDA......Is irresponsible and stupid!:

It's for real: Demos push it to be the end of the world, Rebs, just Dem hype!

It's for real people. And the SAD thing is, NO ONE...seems to get the end result!

It's not it's going to get 350° in your little part of the world... But it's going to upset something in the FOOD CHAIN!

NOW!!!! I seem to have another problem!!! IS THIS A POLITICAL POST? I DON'T THINK SO!!!!

If a starving child or a refugee becomes a POLITICAL TOPIC.....are THOSE FOLKS POLITICAL???? And is there anything THEY did to throw them in that ring?

SEE....That's my point...

Can we just drop the POLITICS, and examine this issue on a BI-PARTISAN BASIS?

(The little babies don't care about PARTIES yet!

KartFab

Reaction score
It's made into a political argument because of the costs associated with actually doing anything about it. Deny and reap the financial benefits, or accept it only to be trodden down by those that deny it, then become polarized into exaggerating its effects so you sound irrational. Meanwhile, those that deny it truly are ignorant, or have something to gain by denying it.

I had a co-worker ask me a while back if I believed in global warming. I responded by saying, do you believe in gravity? Its not like we don't have ways of measuring this. The argument (at least among people that actually keep up with reality) isn't about if its happening, but how severe the effects are right now and what effects we will see in the future. The severity and diversity of these effects is not 100% certain, and some of which is unknown, which is taken by the ignorant and uneducated to mean "YOU DONT KNOW?" Man you must be so stupid, or not even know what your talking about if you dont even know whats going to happen... .....almost as if admitting that you don't know everything, and the inability to precisely predict the future makes you dumb? Whats dumb is ignorance to global warming.

I find it comforting that I cant do a thing about it no matter how much I try I will only be prolonging the inevitable, so ill just run my little mini bikes, go karts, SUV, buy not locally, not get solar panels etc because its cheaper. Priorities jeeeze.

Also, for those of you that actually deny that global warming is occurring, or deny that it is happening due to human activities, let me just leave you with this quote:

'Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.' — Mark Twain

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
It's made into a political argument because of the costs associated with actually doing anything about it. Deny and reap the financial benefits, or accept it only to be trodden down by those that deny it, then become polarized into exaggerating its effects so you sound irrational. Meanwhile, those that deny it truly are ignorant, or have something to gain by denying it.

I had a co-worker ask me a while back if I believed in global warming. I responded by saying, do you believe in gravity? Its not like we don't have ways of measuring this. The argument (at least among people that actually keep up with reality) isn't about if its happening, but how severe the effects are right now and what effects we will see in the future. The severity severity diversity of these effects is not 100% certain, and some of which is unknown, which is taken by the ignorant and uneducated to mean "YOU DONT KNOW?" Man you must be so stupid, or not even know what your talking about if you dont even know whats going to happen... .....almost as if admitting that you don't know everything, and the inability to predict the future exactly makes you dumb? Whats dumb is ignorance to global warming.

Very well said Grant. I don't have ant issues with those that say ( rightfully so), that we don't know the end effects of Global warming.7

But, we CAN AND DO KNOW....there are measurable effects. The POLITICAL naysayers wiil say: " But the planet has been fluctuating for years!"

OK....HERE'S WHAT I SAY!!!!!!!! It's like the drunk , or even the attorney of a victim of an automotive manufacturing failure saying :" But these traffic accidents have been happening for YEARS!"

Is it CATASTROPHIC? WHO KNOWS?

For the planet? Maybe so , maybe not. But ANYTIME you mess with the natural balance, you face consequences, sometimes unforseen.

Who knew that shipping a trackloader from S. America would infest North America with fire ants?

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Because Global Warming is a total FARCE! 100% Completely made up by Politicians in order to tax and control people.
Therefore it is a political matter that has NO place Ina Go Kart forum.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Because Global Warming is a total FARCE! 100% Completely made up by Politicians in order to tax and control people.
Therefore it is a political matter that has NO place Ina Go Kart forum.

WRONG!!! It's NOT POLITICAL! It's NOT RELIGIOUS! It's a very simple thing. It's a proven phenomena, at least by some.

SOME PEOPLE wish to make it POLITICAL! What are the effects? Certainly not the gloom and doom ONE side would say. AND CERTAINLY NOT THE TOTAL FABRICATION THE OTHER WOULD!!!

Soooo....ask yourself. Would you rather be proven wrong at the the cost of quality of life? Or err on the side of caution?

Here's what many on one side are missing:

In fact, following down the "Green" road is NOT GOING TO COST MORE....BUT LESS!!!!! Coal power plants are the first "Dinosaurs" to address, but it doesn't stop there.

Clean, renewable energy shouldn't be anti-American!!! Who is brainwashing who? Does it take a PHD to figure this out?

Natural gas does not have to be transported by rail car ( burning up coal and polluting the atmosphere alomg the way.)

What's wrong with solar and wind? If they are cheaper to produce, why fight for the status quo?

These are just peripheral issues. Again...it's not by any intellectual, logical mind, that global CLIMATE CHANGE can be dismissed. IT'S HAPPENING.

Now, folks wanna stick their heads in the sand and say it isn't. NOT TRUE. And man has a BIG hand in it.

Now, what are the consequences? That's a little tougher. Zealots on the "left" talk about polar ice cap melt and oceans rising. Those on the "right" say BIG DEAL....what a 1/4" in 100 years? THAT'S NOT IT! It's the effect on the delicate balance that has been established for millennia in the ecosystem and the worlds oceans. News flash: the world is not flat!

I'll just sum it up with this. The person who closes his eyes and mind may wake up missing much. The one who stays awake , may spend that time watching nothing change, but has lost nothing.

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
I have a different take on it all. Seems to me that it's pretty arrogant of the human race to think that out little blip in time that we call recorded history is an accurate way to measure the climate cycles. Personally I think it's all a cyclic thing that will repeat itself over and over and may very well cause the extinction of the human race. I'm not arrogant enough to state this as a fact, just a possibility.
I also have a theory regarding the creation of the earth, but I'm not about to get into that on this forum as I know full well that it would get completely out of control even though my theory bears no resemblance to the religious or modern scientific beliefs regarding the creation of the earth. It's pretty out there.

I personally think the human race is a disease on the face of this planet, if you want to know why I think this just climb up to the top of a big mountian sometime and survey the landscape for yourself. If you think of trees like hair the landscape really resembles a dog with a very bad case of mange.

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
I have a different take on it all. Seems to me that it's pretty arrogant of the human race to think that out little blip in time that we call recorded history is an accurate way to measure the climate cycles. Personally I think it's all a cyclic thing that will repeat itself over and over and may very well cause the extinction of the human race. I'm not arrogant enough to state this as a fact, just a possibility.
I also have a theory regarding the creation of the earth, but I'm not about to get into that on this forum as I know full well that it would get completely out of control even though my theory bears no resemblance to the religious or modern scientific beliefs regarding the creation of the earth. It's pretty out there.

I personally think the human race is a disease on the face of this planet, if you want to know why I think this just climb up to the top of a big mountian sometime and survey the landscape for yourself. If you think of trees like hair the landscape really resembles a dog with a very bad case of mange.

What happened since the beginning of time is all well and good, and yes , the planet has undergone HUGE cyclic changes. One of which was the ice age.

I'm sure it is calming to know that just because nature has destroyed almost all life on earth, we don't need to concern ourselves. But most scientists will tell you that the ice age was caused by an asteroid.

But, man NOW has the capability of ARTIFICIALLY replicating that effect with nuclear weapons. But yet, people don't think modern man has ANY effect on the climate?

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!-

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
WRONG!!! It's NOT POLITICAL! It's NOT RELIGIOUS! It's a very simple thing. It's a proven phenomena, at least by some.

SOME PEOPLE wish to make it POLITICAL! What are the effects? Certainly not the gloom and doom ONE side would say. AND CERTAINLY NOT THE TOTAL FABRICATION THE OTHER WOULD!!!

Soooo....ask yourself. Would you rather be proven wrong at the the cost of quality of life? Or err on the side of caution?

Here's what many on one side are missing:

In fact, following down the "Green" road is NOT GOING TO COST MORE....BUT LESS!!!!! Coal power plants are the first "Dinosaurs" to address, but it doesn't stop there.

Clean, renewable energy shouldn't be anti-American!!! Who is brainwashing who? Does it take a PHD to figure this out?

Natural gas does not have to be transported by rail car ( burning up coal and polluting the atmosphere alomg the way.)

What's wrong with solar and wind? If they are cheaper to produce, why fight for the status quo?

These are just peripheral issues. Again...it's not by any intellectual, logical mind, that global CLIMATE CHANGE can be dismissed. IT'S HAPPENING.

Now, folks wanna stick their heads in the sand and say it isn't. NOT TRUE. And man has a BIG hand in it.

Now, what are the consequences? That's a little tougher. Zealots on the "left" talk about polar ice cap melt and oceans rising. Those on the "right" say BIG DEAL....what a 1/4" in 100 years? THAT'S NOT IT! It's the effect on the delicate balance that has been established for millennia in the ecosystem and the worlds oceans. News flash: the world is not flat!

I'll just sum it up with this. The person who closes his eyes and mind may wake up missing much. The one who stays awake , may spend that time watching nothing change, but has lost nothing.

:lolgoku: Thanks, This thread has been the funniest thing I have heard all day!:roflol:

Bbqjoe

Banned
Reaction score

I'm gonna pitch my tent on your boat.
Religious and political leanings all aside, I just want to add:

In the short term, of life, the universe and everything, this topic seems rather important.

In the long term, in the really big picture of it all, it doesn't add up to, or mean Shlt.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I call it Weather and Seasons. Currently the "Climate" has "Changed" to cooler. This is known as Winter. :thumbsup:
In a few months the "Climate" will gradually "Change" to Warmer. This is what we call Summer.
I can understand the OPs confusion being he is in Texas, where the "Climate" is just "Miserable"!

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
What happened since the beginning of time is all well and good, and yes , the planet has undergone HUGE cyclic changes. One of which was the ice age.

I'm sure it is calming to know that just because nature has destroyed almost all life on earth, we don't need to concern ourselves. But most scientists will tell you that the ice age was caused by an asteroid.

But, man NOW has the capability of ARTIFICIALLY replicating that effect with nuclear weapons. But yet, people don't think modern man has ANY effect on the climate?

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!-
Oh yeah, we can affect it for sure, we can destroy all life on this planet over some silly differences, and probably will before it's all said and done. I can't do anything about it, so I just choose not to worry about it.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, to say "cycle" without having the slightest of an idea or adding "bi" in front...
uhgh...

let me boil it down to the very core:

"IF IT IS A CYCLE" what harm does it cause if you try to be least agressive on expelling green house gases?

"IF IT IS NOT A CYCLE" what harm will you cause if you expell the biggest amount of greenhouse gases?

and that "you" is you in person as well as you as a society, you as a nation and you as the inhabitant of this planet.

yes,yes.. it's never you alone.. and we can point our fingers at any
random person/nation/society/douchebag/company/.....
but he/they,you... *coward!*

the one thing we can change is what WE do (individually, you as a person)
You wont.. because it's not your fault?
Well sir, you are an ignorant!
Can I change that? Nope.. I don't give much shirts tbh...

but as long as we do not know for certain (well some of us do in fact... anyways)
IF it's a million year cycle we're seeing or a cause of human misbehaviour...
What side do you want to be on? the one cautious enough to cause the least amount of harm
just in case,
or the one that's ruining it all for all coming generations just in case it indeed wasn't "just a cycle"

your choice!

'sid

Flyinhillbilly

The great cornholio
Reaction score
Buying Chinese products is probably the worst thing we can do for the environment, but that's an inconvenient truth. We all share the same air and water. Some countries care about polloution, some don't. I still say we're a disease on this planet, and since I drive cars, motorcycles, go karts, an minibikes rather than walking or riding a bicycle then telling anyone else they are the problem would make me a hypocrite. I have always preferred honest sinners over lying hypocrites.

WW3 will be fought over clean water in my opinion.

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
Green house gases. You mean Co2 That pesky gas that Plants NEED to survive and produce Oxygen for Mammals to breathe. Scary.
Or did you know 1 volcanic eruption Like Mount Saint Helens Puts more "Greenhouse gases" into the atmosphere than EVERY SINGLE combustion engine ever run has.
Or are we to believe Volcanoes are Man Caused too?

Man and his effects are a Spec on the this planet.
I find it Totally arrogant that people actually think human kind has the power to change the Climate.

Now Destroy the planet through Nuclear Weapons,,, maybe.

Bbqjoe

Banned
Reaction score
Buying Chinese products is probably the worst thing we can do for the environment, but that's an inconvenient truth. We all share the same air and water. Some countries care about polloution, some don't. I still say we're a disease on this planet.

WW3 will be fought over clean water in my opinion.

The thing is, any affect we have on this planet, will begin to heal shortly after we're gone.
For man to think we can cause permanent damage to this great marble, or that we can control the temperature, or change it in any way, is well beyond grandiose.

If you were to ask a shrimp to explain life, he might tell you, well at first the land was dry, then came water, and then life formed, changed around a bit, then there was Shrimp! The end.

But we all know, this isn't true.
Many things came about after shrimp.

So, how about we ask man?

Rail rider

Inmate # 3192016
Reaction score
We've been warming ever since the ice age before man was here.. Until we now how many under water volcanic vents are under the ocean. we will never know mans impact on the earth. But al gore charging carbon taxes and stuffing his pockets will solve nothing. C°2 is a green house gas and without it we would die. I have a C°2 generator for my aquarium plants. We are actually in the beginning of a cooling period now . and the monitoring of the heating has been fudged to the results they wanted. Ski resorts are closed all over ... They have too much snow. And NY had a glacier last year.

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Hmm. Do I dare comment.

Until they figure out how to live forever I don't care.

As far as I know we all die. If you are religious then you go somewhere when you die.

Nice to think the human race will live on. But there are millions of reasons we don't. So many things are extinction level events.

Analogy, my uncle passed at 60 last year. Worked out all the time kept in great shape. Ran marathons. Had heart attack. Out of no where. Was working out at the time.

When it's human extinction time, we too will end. And keeping the temperature regulated can't save us.

Maybe I'm ignit, but none of us will ever know if global warming is the end of us.

KartFab

Reaction score
Our general perception about global warming varies by education level and geographical location. People in Mexico seem to be much more concerned about it than those in Russia.

Personally I'm more concerned about some random disease that can easily spread, has a high mortality rate, and no cure. Disease has wiped out a substantial portion of the world population before.

Have any of you all ever played the game Plague, Inc? I was playing that game, then the whole Ebola thing resurfaced(in real life). I was like ehh transmission is going to be a problem so it will fizzle out, we need to make it mutate and be transferred through the air too so more people are infected. Then it came to Dallas and I was talking to my wife, a nurse, about how they are training people to deal with it. They only had those silly little face masks that don't fully seal around your mouth. I thought, you know, all it takes is a sneeze, or a cough and they would be inhaling aerosalized particles. These patients are literally bleeding out through their veins, and there sure are a lot of them in your lungs where all the gas exchange is happening. Next is Zika, before all that was swine flu. We have been evolving and adapting as a human race with viruses for millions of years, with only the ones with the right genetic lottery being able to fight off a certain disease. Now, it's all taken care of by immunizations, antibiotics, etc. they even dump antibiotics in with the chicken feed to keep them from dying off en masse. Now we are slowly finding out that the viruses and bacteria that had that magic genetic combination multiplying and surviving because of the abuse and overuse of antibiotics.

Ehrmmm lemme go out on my tinfoil hat before I go outside. I'm grateful though, at least I don't live in china where everybody has to wear a mask because of the pollution.

Status
Not open for further replies.