Getting this go-kart running for my granddaughters

Boompa

Reaction score
I just bought a used go-cart that I thought would be fun for my granddaughters ages 10 and 13. I believe this cart is a trailmaster, I do not know much about go-karts so I am unsure about how to go about rebuilding it. It came with another go kart frame, bolted on the rear end. It had a Kawasaki 8 hp flathead with a torque converter to a jack shaft to the main drive sprocket. I would prefer, when rebuilding this, to eliminate the need of a jack shaft. I would like the torque converter to direct drive the axle. Being that all small engines I know of have counter clockwise rotation, I would have to move the axle sprocket to the opposite side and directly drive it off the torque converter. Also, since these are young girls, I would want to use an electric start engine. I am unaware of what hp range I should be looking at to drive this kart. The Kawasaki that came with it is a pull start and I feel that would be too much for the little girls.

IMG_20201029_173017827.jpgIMG_20201106_095746145.jpgIMG_20201106_095756739.jpgIMG_20201106_095811336.jpgIMG_20201106_095822209.jpgIMG_20201106_100236487.jpg

Karttekk

Reaction score
Almost certain that buggy shipped with a GY6, 150cc engine. That has been removed and replaced with a basic horizontal shaft engine. To be honest with you you're in for a bunch of work and frustration. I would suggest either somehow revert it back to what it used to be or get a regular fun or yard kart that would suit the girls better. If you decide to go ahead with an electric start engine, the Carroll Stream 6.5 HP, electric start engine is a good choice. You're still looking at coming up with a working drivetrain. The best thing to do is sell it for what you can get and pick up something else that's more practical. Check Craigslist, Offer Up or Facebook Marketplace for other options.

Karttekk

Reaction score
One of these Coleman karts could work too.

Karts of Kaos

the many mowers guy
Reaction score
I know that some of the people that have already posted heave much more karting experience, but if it were me I would buy a blank sprocket with the right tooth count and chain type, then fab up a motor mount. take your grandkids to a kart track to dial in their skills. then you can adjust speed and torque accordingly. also a 6.5 engine of today is relatively easy to start and your grandkids would be able to start it easily as long as it runs well.
edit: i should have asked if you had a welder first. if not that will make it much harder. also from the pics it is hard to see if the sprocket hub is welded on or not. if it is but the brakes and wheels arnot you could flip the axle.

Boompa

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I like a challenge so I decided to stick with it for awhile. I have been in the shop working on it since 5 this morning, just getting ready to call it a day. I will post some pictures tomorrow to show the direction I am heading. Please let me know what you think, all suggestions are appreciated once again thanks.

Karttekk

Reaction score
Good luck with it. Sometimes it's just too easy to buy something ready to go, it's more fun taking on a project and seeing it through. Gives you a sense of accomplishment plus you're learning as you go. I picked up a kart with a poorly running Predator engine on it, pulled the rope out of my hand when I tried to start it, popped back through the exhaust and when it did start it would shake real bad then quit. People I talked to said just buy another engine since they're cheap. Checked the flywheel key, valve adjustment, pulled the cam to check the compression release mechanism, carb disassemble and cleaning, plug. Even took the head off and removed the valves. Everything checked out good. Ends up what looked like a factory "seal" or grommet was actually electrical tape holding a cracked spark plug boot together. Removed the tape and the hard plastic boot fell apart. That caused the spark to jump to ground and short out and the rope to kick back. A new coil & boot fixed it right up. I wasn't giving up until I found the problem. Keep us posted!

Boompa

Reaction score
We'll a bit under the weather yesterday and today but here is where I am at as of today. Cut up the junk frame saved the very end, got some inch and a half square tubing, reversed the axel, put the drive sprocket on the outside and the disk on the inside, removed the caliper bracket from the swingarm. Welded a new frame inside the swingarm added the caliper bracket to the frame. Tomorrow I will try to add a motor deck to the frame. One issue the sprocket on the axel is for a #50 chain, I have a 40 series torque converter which has a drive sprocket for a#41 chain, I will have to find an axel sprocket for a # 41 chain. I have a couple of motors laying around one is a kohler vanguard 18 hp too big I also have a Briggs & Stratton 1150 which I believe is about 8hp. So that's where I am at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_20201110_161531397.jpg
    IMG_20201110_161531397.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20201110_161303996.jpg
    IMG_20201110_161303996.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 10

Boompa

Reaction score
Well today we ran into our first real problem. We can't find a replacement # 41 chain axle sprocket to replace the # 50. So we have been looking for a # 50 drive sprocket for a series 40 torque converter and so far not doing too well there.