general engine help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
havent been here in a while :)

my cuz gave me a generator he was gonna throw out.

is it worth restoring?
it needs a carb, maybe coil pack, spark plug wires, and AFAIK the flywheel is seperate from the engine, so it takes up PTO space

anyone got an extimated hp output?

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
10 hp? looks heavy! Sometimes it's hard to get to the PTO on those.

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
yep rv generator.

it shouldnt be hard getting it working. just carb and ignition.

so do you guys think it's worth it?

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
Most generators I have worked on have a tapered shaft making them pretty much useless for anything except... well... a generator.
Based on what I see in pic, I would probably put it on Ebay with a starting price of $150 and see if anybody bites.
It will bring more $$ if it runs (duh).

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
cant you get a clutch/torque converter for that diameter and it work?

so any coil pack and any carb will do? as long as it physically fits?
cause we got a equiptment junkyard here (backyward of small engine repair shop) :D

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
Most generators I have worked on have a tapered shaft making them pretty much useless for anything except... well... a generator.

Useless??? :confused:

snowmobiles use tapered shafts,you can find old sled clutches pretty cheap(i got one for my golf cart for 15$)

i would say a tapered shaft is better in some applications than a regular shaft.you can put the power to the ground alot better with a cvt from a sled.

you could make a pretty badda$$ go cart you dont see to many with opposed twins.

Russ2251

Reaction score
cant you get a clutch/torque converter for that diameter and it work?
It depends. As I said in previous post, most generators have a tapered shaft with which a clutch cannot be secured. But you might get lucky and it could have a straight keyed shaft. If it is 1 inch (maximum) or less in diameter, you just may have struck gold. You might be looking at some serious wheelie material given the kind of mass/hp you have acquired.

so any coil pack and any carb will do? as long as it physically fits?
Good question. Check coil first and make sure it is indeed bad. Coils are notorious for outlasting engines. It probably is identified and still should be available commercially.
Carburetor may be different story. If you have a carb with same bolt pattern and venturi size you can probably use it. If bolt pattern is different you can always fashion an adapter plate to accept it.
Good luck and let us know what the outcome is.

Russ2251

Reaction score
Useless??? :confused:

snowmobiles use tapered shafts,you can find old sled clutches pretty cheap(i got one for my golf cart for 15$)

i would say a tapered shaft is better in some applications than a regular shaft.you can put the power to the ground alot better with a cvt from a sled.

you could make a pretty badda$$ go cart you dont see to many with opposed twins.

None of my snowmobile clutches will fit any generator that I know of.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
The engine I'm using on my kart came from a generator and has a tapered shaft. All I had to do was dremel out a keyway and use a pulley that I got from a local garden store. It fits on perfect. If yours has the same thing, you could do something similar.

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
thanks guys. you guys are making we want to put more effort into this.
I might check the coil today. what sucks is that the wires from the sensor to the coil are burned. and one wires to a plug

about the carb. i know to match up bolt pattern, but what about A/F ratio? is it close enough on all carbs to work?

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
A/F ration you will probably need to play with the needles. I really don't think it would be the same ratio if you took the carb off a single cylinder engine and bolted it on a two.

ed1380

Banned
Reaction score
yeah. electric start. too bad the flywheel is on the PTo and i might have to get rid of it.

as far as i know i have one working coil, one coil wire, and one good spark plug

the generator originally had a fuel pump on it. will i need one when i fix it? or will it suck it up by itself

as with teh carb. I'll go to the junkyard and see what they have

timstar

Reaction score
The engine I'm using on my kart came from a generator and has a tapered shaft. All I had to do was dremel out a keyway and use a pulley that I got from a local garden store. It fits on perfect. If yours has the same thing, you could do something similar.

Kibble, I am new here and have a 10hp Subaru motor off a generator with a tappered shaft as well. I was hoping to use a centrifical clutch with a sprocket and was thinking of having the shaft machined to accept it. Before I do I was wondering what kind of set up you were running and if you had pictures available? What is the pulley you are running and its purpose? I really do not know what direction to go with but I want to use this motor as it runs really well and it was FREE!!! Anyone else with suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well! Thanks!

2or3wheels

Reaction score
wowo 10hp for free?? I dont know f making a filler to make a cent clutch fit would hold to 10 hp but i think that would be easiest, otherthan finding a snomobile clutch to fit and getting all the belts and chains to line up and finding where to put the pillowblock bearrings.

timstar

Reaction score
wowo 10hp for free?? I dont know f making a filler to make a cent clutch fit would hold to 10 hp but i think that would be easiest, otherthan finding a snomobile clutch to fit and getting all the belts and chains to line up and finding where to put the pillowblock bearrings.

making a filler? (explain please) I have found a cent. clutch that will work for up to 13hp. Cent. clutch is defenitly the easiest.

Status
Not open for further replies.