Gearing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramairgtz

Noobie
Messages
167
Reaction score
0
Location
Florissant Missouri
This kart I just put together has 22x11x8 tires in the rear, 60 tooth sprocket, 10 tooth on the clutch, 41 chain and a honda 5.5hp motor. What would be a better gear set up for more low end power? A 60 tooth is the biggest I saw for the rear. I guess my other option would be a jack shaft set up to change the ratio
 

ramairgtz

Noobie
Messages
167
Reaction score
0
Location
Florissant Missouri
Do they make bigger than a 60 for the rear? Or smaller than a 10 for the front? If I went with a jack shaft what size gears should I use? BMI offers a 10, 12 and 14 tooth sprocket with their jack shaft kit. So let me know if I'm thinking in the right direction run a chain from the 10 on the clutch to a 14 the jack shaft. Then an 10 on the jack shaft to the 60 tooth sprocket?
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
It would help. But to be perfectly honest, it may not be enough. Got a pic of your kart? With rear tires that big, I'm guessing your kart is pretty beefy. You might have to gear a little deeper yet, or get a CVT.
 

ramairgtz

Noobie
Messages
167
Reaction score
0
Location
Florissant Missouri
It's a home made kart I bought real cheap but it's built well. Just needed a motor and few minor things fixed
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Hey, not bad! You get a good deal? Anyhow, start with the above ratio, and if you're not happy with the performance, maybe think about a cvt later...
 

ramairgtz

Noobie
Messages
167
Reaction score
0
Location
Florissant Missouri
Picked it up for $75 and all it needed was tubes in the front tires. Guy had the spindles on the wrong sides and I liked the gas tank mounted on the back made from an old freon tank. I'll have to find a good use for that it's pretty cool
 

Rexracer

Still thinking about it
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Iowa
JACKSHAFT is the way......My setup engine is 19 at the clutch to 57 (this a Buller Belt drive) over to 21 and at the axle 53 (the last 2 are 35 chain and sprockets) so to get more torque I change the 21 to an 18 more speed 21 to 23. Either way by changing just one sprocket the gear ratio can be changed in minutes with little work. My approach is a little different. My banshee I wanted Top rpm at 3/4 of the way thru the longest straightaway....otherwise the motor tops out and runs it's lungs out for nothing. I started with a 3 to one ratio on the clutch to jackshaft pulley that part I will never change. So with two gears left I got for the axel a 60,58,55,53.....for the jackshaft output I got 15,17,18,19,20,21,22....First test I went 60-18.....way to slow but eventually working from back to front I got where I am ........ Now I know how the kart reacts on short runs verses long runs. Once you get to know how your engine works with certain gears you can make a formula for example mine is top engine rpm = 14,500 divided by final drive ratio=7.85 = 1847.13 that number is wheel rotations per minute flat out I mutiply that number by my tire diameter = 34.5 inches which gives me inches per hour divided by 12 = feet per hour divided by 5280 = my top speed at top rpm with that ratio. Hope that helps kind of my backwards way of doing it.
RR
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top