gearing and clearance question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
I have a few quick questions. Firstly, my go kart has 12t on the clutch and 60 on the sprocket with 10'' tires. My issue is that even with that gearing I get a ton of wheel spin and really good acceleration which seems unusual doesn't it? Would a 13t clutch stop the wheel spin some? Secondly, I am getting the head on my gx200 clone milled. What would be a safe amount to take off? I have a con rod that is .020 longer and my cams lift is .265 if that means anything. Thanks for any info as always :)

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
Going to a 13T will decrease your torque a bit. Whether it will be decreased enough to stop the wheels spinning completely....I don't know. You will gain a bit of speed as well. Your gear ratio will then be 4.6:1. That is pretty high, but it might work for you. You can only try and see how it goes

About the head....I don't know

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
As for the milling, the compression chart goes up to 0.090
resulting in 11.3:1 compression ratio assuming stock gx200 head (22cc) and stock dished piston.
To increase compression further you must change your head and/or piston
there are 18 and 14cc GX160 heads (E-spec and Old-style whatever that means)
which reduce the compression where the last one has a compression ratio of 10.3:1 without milling the head down.

I've seen a compression chart on a tuning page just the other day, I can't seem to find it right now, but that's the numbers I wrote down ;)
If you want me to, I'll keep on searching for it.

'sid

[EDIT]
the compression ratio chart:
http://www.prokartengineparts.com/downloads/Compression_Ratio_Guide_GX200.pdf

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
You're welcome.

Oh and as far as the website states,
the longer con rod
Provides increased dwell time, increased piston velocity and less rod angle.
*shrugs* increased velocity? higher rpms okay maybe but this I doubt.

'sid

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
Well I think velocity would directly correlate to rpms correct? So I guess technically. When I got the con rod my rpms went up about 400 and the power went up way more than I expected.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
yes, if the longer con rod affects rpms, then of course,
but it cannot be faster than a "normal" length at the same rpm.
Also increased dwell time sounds odd as higher rpm means LESS dwell time, doesn't it?

Anyways, if I had one I'd mount it.

'sid

PS Maybe, if you mount yours and it ends up being a great idea, I'd even go and buy one someday.

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
Quick question, since I put a 22mm mikuni on my go kart it will bog and hesitate if I floor it instantly. I checked the plug and it was a bit white so I put the needle to the richest setting. Now it feels like it has less 'oomph' and it still bogs. It only does this when you go from idle to wide open. Is this a fuel issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.