We have got to know what sort of gearing and kart you have now. Tyre diameter is important, so what have you got now?
Gearing depends on many factors, but you can work on the common gear ratio of 6:1. This should give you a balance of power and speed. This depends on tyre diameter and weight though.
With a centrifugal clutch, if you gear too high (eg 4:1) you will burn your clutch out. With a low gear ratio (eg. 8:1), you will have loads of torque, but not a whole lot of speed.
What are you looking for?
The much more accurate way-
Put the end of the tape measure on the ground, and measure straight up to the very highest point of the tire. This will give you the static loaded diameter, and about as accurate as you're going to get. Much better than trying to eyeball both sides of the tread at the same time, and unloaded.
Landuse, could you explain of refer me to a place that does explain how a lower gear ratio correlates to those number you have in your example versus a higher head ratio being a lower number of drive driven? And the ratio is input to output/drive to driven correct?
If it helps, I have a Kart with 18 inch tires, 6.5 hp engine, Comet 30 TAV and a 6.2:1 gear ratio. I have More top end than I can use in the yard, and decent low end.
That is a 10 tooth on the clutch and a 62 tooth on the axle.
Thank you landuse! I have always been told and taught however that a low ratio was a low number like 3:1 versus the 8:1 in your example.
I have always been told and taught however that a low ratio was a low number like 3:1 versus the 8:1 in your example.