Gasless

Status
Not open for further replies.

xoltri

Reaction score
Flux cored wire feed welding has better penetration than MIG welding (metal inert gas).

It is a bit messy though - there is a lot of smoke that dirties my welding helmet and I wear an N95 mask so I don't breathe in the particulates, and it requires that you brush or chip the slag off of the welds and around the welding area after. But overall it works great! Point and shoot, and no gas bottles to deal with.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
What kind of gas-less are you talking about? when people hear gas-less most just think flux core, but stick welding doesnt require gas either. Anyways, flux core is great, anyone can lay a nice looking bead with one. I'm only 15 and i have a flux core wire feed, its only a 95 amp but its so easy and its what i used to make my kart, it took me about a week to learn how to lay a really nice looking bead. The worst part is the cleanup, but what i did was buy a nice little wire brush wheel for my drill and that cleans it up really well.

Buick455

got any pictures of it?
Reaction score
I weld allot of that cheap house pipe (like at Lowes) thick walled, heavy black pipe and my wire feed has plenty of penetration with flux cored. My welder is a Hobart 175. I have thought about hooking up the gas kit for it but never have had the need or desire to buy a tank. I'm sure my welds would look better if I did though...

The 175 works better then the Lincoln 135 I had before it though, it didn’t seem like I was getting enough heat. The 175 will blast through a ¼ walled pipe with ease, lol. Found out the hard way when I first got it.

As far as cleaning the slag, I just use a twisted strand wire wheel. I use it to clean where I’m going to weld, and then clean the weld itself. Works like a champ.

brendonv

Reaction score
yes but gas welders weld better IMO, depends on what ur welding though. If ur welding like 4mm thick walled metal then probably gas but if its like 2-3mm then gasless will work fine. U have to go real slow though. If u got access to a gas welder then do it with gas.

timmytim

Reaction score
I weld allot of that cheap house pipe (like at Lowes) thick walled, heavy black pipe and my wire feed has plenty of penetration with flux cored. My welder is a Hobart 175. I have thought about hooking up the gas kit for it but never have had the need or desire to buy a tank. I'm sure my welds would look better if I did though...

The 175 works better then the Lincoln 135 I had before it though, it didn’t seem like I was getting enough heat. The 175 will blast through a ¼ walled pipe with ease, lol. Found out the hard way when I first got it.

As far as cleaning the slag, I just use a twisted strand wire wheel. I use it to clean where I’m going to weld, and then clean the weld itself. Works like a champ.
This pipe ure welding from lowes, are you building karts with it?:thumbsup:

Buick455

got any pictures of it?
Reaction score
This pipe ure welding from lowes, are you building karts with it?:thumbsup:

I have, but it is heavy, very heavy. I built 2 go karts from it and 1 mini bike. I got the house pipe for free so I just used it, but if I was going to buy metal to build a new frame it wouldn't be house pipe. Don't get me wrong its easy to work with and weld, but just too darn heavy.

Its great for building fence gates and trellises for plants though, lol. very strong stuff.

landy mad luke

Reaction score
my dad has a gasless welder, that works pretty wel.l remember that 1 inch of weld can hold upto 1 tone aslong as it penitrates. Ill try nd find a welding forum my friends on maybe they could help. also how about using a arc welder?

Raywelder

Not an Adm¡nistrator
Reaction score
I have, but it is heavy, very heavy. I built 2 go karts from it and 1 mini bike. I got the house pipe for free so I just used it, but if I was going to buy metal to build a new frame it wouldn't be house pipe. Don't get me wrong its easy to work with and weld, but just too darn heavy.

Its great for building fence gates and trellises for plants though, lol. very strong stuff.

High Five!
Built my cart and bike from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.