gasless MIG welders wire info. not just for beginners

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryf

Reaction score
I'm posting this to help everyone be a little safer in our projects. you should be using E71T-11 for metal thicker than 16 gauge (1/16" is about the same) E71T-11 is also sold as INNERSHIELD NR-211MP at lowes/home depot, I don't recommend that though, as they are only 1lb spools instead of 2 lb, if your doing alot of welding, your changing spools 2x as much.

http://www.weldingmaterialsales.com/Product_pages/e71t11_productpage.htm

E71T-11 is a self-shielding flux cored wire used for welding carbon steels. This product does not require a shielding gas and can be used in limited multi-pass welding operations. The bead appearance is not equal to a gas-shielded product, but the benefits of not having to use gas makes this product popular. E71T-11 operates on straight polarity only (DCEN).

Typical Applications
Butt, lap and fillet welds on steel 16 gauge through ½”
Assembly and maintenance welding

AWS Specification
AWS A5.20

AWS Classification
E71T-11

Welding Current
DCEN (Electrode Negative, Straight Polarity)

Typical Wire Chemistry
C 0.20
Si 0.30
Mn 0.60
Al 1.42
P 0.010
S 0.013

Typical Mechanical Properties (As Welded)
Yield Strength, psi 68,000
Tensile Strength, psi 86,000
% Elongation in 2" 23

Welding Positions
Flat, horizontal, and vertical down

if you are using E71T-GS for welding thick metals, you need to consider what that type of wire is designed for (sheet metal, low penetration). I'm posting the technical specs for the two widely available types of gasless welding wire. you probably can weld with it... but it isn't as easy nor as safe as the correct product.

http://www.weldingmaterialsales.com/Product_pages/e71tgs_productpage.htm

E71T-GS is an all-position, single-pass, flux cored welding wire designed to weld carbon steel. The unique quality of this product is that you do not have to use a shielding gas. E71T-GS produces smooth arc action, low spatter, full slag coverage, and easy slag removal. The bead appearance is not equal to a gas-shielded product, but the benefits of not having to use gas makes this product extremely popular. E71T-GS operates on DC straight polarity (DCEN). * Make sure your power source is set properly for a good, non-porous weld.

Typical Applications
Lap and butt welds on galvanized sheet metal
Repair of automobile sheet metal
Joining of galvanized roofing sheet metal

AWS Specification
AWS A5.20

AWS Classification
E71T-GS

Welding Current
DCEN (Electrode Negative, Straight Polarity)

Typical Wire Chemistry
C 0.18
Mn 0.65
Si 0.40
Al 1.30
P 0.01
S 0.01

Typical Mechanical Properties (As Welded)
Tensile Strength, psi 86,400

Welding Positions
All positions

I'm not in any way affilliated with that website, just using it for the tech data.

thanks for listening. hope this helps some of you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.