Gaskets and lube????

Bansil

Painter of gnomes....
Reaction score
So in the 70,80,90's we always put a light coat of ky jelly on gaskets,intakes,carbs etc so we could take them apart and not tear gaskets, I still do this.
Anyone else?
Because, if your gasket surface is really clean the gasket will always stick and tear when you don't have a replacement. Also do it with o-rings

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Um, no on the KY Jelly. That's freakier than using the whole chicken. . . . 😏

But yeah I have heard of greasing the gaskets with bearing grease or similar to allow easy removal. The grease acts as a minor sealing agent at the same time. But the big thing is preservation and reusability.

Would be great to do it on all future engine builds so that a future tear-down doesn't leave the gasket residue stuck to everything. I hate scraping gasket surfaces clean.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Why oh why do you use KY Jelly? That is a water-based, uh, personal lubricant you know, for body parts. I don't think it will stay greasy for long either.

Using automotive grease is an "old timer" trick so if you have to take the carburetor off (for example) to change it, clean it or add another one, the gasket stays intact and you don't have to destroy it. Plus it saves money.

Also do it with o-rings

Yes, but don't use petroleum based grease for rubber O-rings, it will destroy them. Use silicone grease. White lithium grease might be safe too, not sure.