Gas Tank ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vozzy

Big Member
Reaction score
Briggs 5HP gas tank is leaking not from the cap, but around the seam at the base of the fill neck. REALLY don't want to weld it, any sealants out there that are gasoline proof? I tried high temp RTV, but it never set right. This tank has the throttle linkage bracket welded to the bottom, if it didn't, I'd just replace the tank...Ideas?......

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
why dont you want to weld the tank? take it off, empty it, swish with soapy water a few times, then fill with water and weld while its full.

vozzy

Big Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd try to seal it first, taking the linkages off and cleaning the tank to weld it sounds like a pain...:ack2:

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Well, i got some gas resistant sealant a while back for a gas tank, however it didnt stick to the plastic. No clue if it would stick to metal. I got it from true value, so check your local hardware store jb weld might work too.

vozzy

Big Member
Reaction score
Leak stopped, can't believe I didn't think of this before: A fat o-ring around the neck. The cap flattens it for a leak free seal. And so what if the gas were to eat the o-ring, I can get them for free......

Status
Not open for further replies.