future project

Status
Not open for further replies.

gvfc2

wishing i was living
Reaction score
It is going to happen but not sure when. maybe when i have money.

So my dads 94 chevy s10 pickup 2.2l 4cyl MFI just blew a spark plug. engine is well over 300xxx so just retiring it.

I am thinking of doing an engine swap. I was thinking a v8 but that might over kill in the tiny truck. might have to much torque for the frame and twist it.

So my father in law said that a v6 would be better. He has a vortec EFI 4.3 v6 sitting in his garage. I am thinking of buying it from him since it is just sitting. it was pulled from a 90 something blazer.

would the v6 be a good fit and not be much of a PITA to drop in?

the tranny is gonna go to clutch is almost shot and grinding gears a lot so I'm pretty sure the gears are almost shot too.

Its a manual BTW with a very in experienced driver. Me. Ive only been driving for 2 months.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
So my dads 94 chevy s10...my father in law...has a vortec EFI 4.3 v6

My... Doesn't that sound awkward! :surrender:

Vortec swaps are pretty popular, and you'll be able to do it with all OEM parts, as they were offered in these trucks. They can also be pretty powerful. Go for it.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Agreed, 4.3 is a good motor. however, small block v8 swaps are common also, frame twist is the last thing you'll have to worry about.

gvfc2

wishing i was living
Reaction score
well since i already have access to a 4.3 v6 im just going to do that. the engine needs alittle work but should be fine.

im going to add a tach as the truck does not have one and I feel that all manuals should have a tach.

would i have to change the transmission to or could i just rebuild?

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
While your considering options, how about a VW tdi swap? Do a bit or minor work to the engine and your at the same power as a non vortec 4.3 and much better mileage. Since the transmission is going, grab a yota 5 speed and the adapter plate for a 1.9l tdi from acme (really). Almost the same amount of fabrication work needed with a little more electrical work required. Imagine the looks you would get.

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
The trans will work if you don't mind a lower first gear and less of an over drive. In the s10/Sonoma/Blazer/Jimmy the 4.3 and 2.2 used the same transmission just with slightly different gear sets. The bell housing may need to be changed our to one with a small block bolt pattern though, I haven't looked much into that.

exenos

Project Nut
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: Note most if not all of this info I have gleaned off the web, so take it with a grain of salt.

/DISCLAIMER

The reason for the yota transmission is because that is the only transmission asides from a samurai tranny that you can buy a off the shelf adapter kit. The Acme kit also comes with a Toyota fly wheel that already has the vw bolt pattern. People have had adapter plates custom made for both the ranger transmission and the s10 transmission but the plates ran around $700 to get them custom made. One was laser cut and the other was water jet I think.

- Motor mounts will be interesting since your rotating the engine 90 degrees. Some people build up a cross member in the front of the engine to use the old mount.

I'll add more if i can think of it when I have time but take a look through these threads. ( Good read even if your not too interested in the tdi swap)

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130443
Same truck but on TDIclub
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=359848

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=142679

gvfc2

wishing i was living
Reaction score
well small update on my truck. Awhile ago I had gotten the truck running. same engine. just replaced the head. running fine now except the SES light keeps coming on after 12 mins of highway use at 60-70mph. but no biggie it shuts off after about 5 mins of engine being turned off.

After i got the engine running i went to go to work then that same morning the clutch went out. had to wait for about 2 hours to be picked up and then another 6 hours to get it home. since then no more work.

Replaced the clutch and its doing fine now. running alittle stronger than before.

I have 318,xxx miles on the truck. when i get close to 10k saved I am going to either full electric or a electric hybrid. I am not going to install a kit. building from scratch with some powerful electric motors. not sure what type yet. hopefully i can pull it off and not get discouraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.