Funder Wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.

outofmyfundermind

Reaction score
I have this Funder Wheels Indy car that I won back in 1993. Used it here and there when my kids were younger but I'm thinking of restoring it with a new theme. Am I crazy to take on this project? I realize the company went under a long time ago and I've been told by a guy at a large go kart shop that this type of kart was the "first disposable kart" because there's no way to: find parts, change the tires or use other wheels, and that I should make a lawn ornament out of it. Looking for anyone's advice and or suggestions. My biggest concern so far are the wheels since they are plastic that are joined by an epoxy glue of some sort. Thanks

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1324740964251121&set=pcb.1324741410917743&type=3&theater

Bbqjoe

Banned
Reaction score
Does the engine run?
Yes.
A. Pull engine, throw away cart.
B. Wrap tires with massive layers of duct tape, drive some more.

No.
Dumpster.

Hellion

Disc brakes are for cowards
Reaction score
Looks like the wheels are removable at least. What do you want to do with it, restoration or "resto-mod"?

I think anything is possible and to get it roadworthy again sounds like a challenge of the good kind. Please post more photos (your photo below) here if possible. I'm sure many like myself have never seen one before.

Show us how the wheels attach and why you think it's not possible to use other wheels.

Don't listen to Joe, he's grumpy. :rolleyes: And that's a Briggs engine which should fire right up with a little work.

Attachments

• Funder Kart.jpg
    Funder Kart.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 15

Bbqjoe

Banned
Reaction score
Looks like the wheels are removable at least. What do you want to do with it, restoration or "resto-mod"?

I think anything is possible and to get it roadworthy again sounds like a challenge of the good kind. Please post more photos (your photo below) here if possible. I'm sure many like myself have never seen one before.

Show us how the wheels attach and why you think it's not possible to use other wheels.

Don't listen to Joe, he's grumpy. :rolleyes: And that's a Briggs engine which should fire right up with a little work.

Don't listen to Hellion. He lives in an optimistic dream world.
You could show him a boulder and he'd believe you could put wheels and an engine on it, and drive it around. :p

outofmyfundermind

Reaction score
Engine has been sitting for a couple of years after I gave it to my brother-in-law for his kids. He never drained the tank so I have a friend who will 'rebuild" for me. It's a B&S 3.5 and ran great the last time I had it. I will replace throttle and brake cables, repair 2 small cracks, sand, repaint, add new decals and new seat pad. The tires/wheels are the hang up right now. The front tires were completely shot and I had to cut them away from the wheel. The wheels are plastic and I'm afraid if I try and have tires put on at a tire shop the wheels will break. I actually would like to replace all the wheels. I will post rear wheels when I get home but for now here's a couple of pics I have of the front.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1324763587582192&set=pcb.1324741410917743&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1324763567582194&set=pcb.1324741410917743&type=3&theater

It's not a great angle but in one pic you can see where the wheels are joined (grey/white)
Front are 4.10/3.50-4 and back are 4.10/3.50-6

I will be keeping everything the same with exception of going from Target theme to Butler University theme. My son graduated from Butler and played football so I'm going to do something that represents Butler and give it to him for his kids someday.

Front wheels are on spindles with 3/4 bearings.

Thanks for any feedback

Last edited:

Hellion

Reaction score
If you wanted to stay with plastic wheels, Azusa makes a two-piece Azusalite wheel made from super strength nylon. Others swear by them and I bought a pair for my Dingo... soon to hit the road.

What's the diameter of your front spindles and rear axle?

Yeah, I'm an optimistic dreamer...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThARR6TBmXM

outofmyfundermind

Reaction score
I have looked at AZUSA and thought about going that direction, but I pulled off the rear last night and found this:

rear.jpg
rear 2.jpg
rear axle.jpg
rear axle 2.jpg

If I want to replace rear wheels wouldn't I have to figure out the belt drive? Looks like the way it's made the backside of the wheel is turned by the plastic drive sprocket.

I believe the spindles and rear axle are 3/4"

Tom Knight

Metal fabricator/welder
Reaction score
Now thats a cool project, good luck, can't you get new tires & use same rims. An inflatable belt to seat tires isn't too much $$ My Dad worked at Butler in 60's House Dad or something. old dog---long way from Indy...

outofmyfundermind

Reaction score
I've seen some other Funder Wheel karts which have different wheels on and am trying to find out from those people. problem is, some of the post are from so far back i'm wondering if people are even active any longer. can you tell me more about the inflatable belt to seat? I'm not familiar with that terminology. Was your dad from Indy?

outofmyfundermind

Reaction score
Ok, so here's what I'm thinking...please correct me if I'm wrong. So the one image is what it looks like when I took the wheel/tire away from the axle. The plastic on the sprocket fits inside the back of the wheel which turns to make kart go.

rear axle 2.jpg

rear 2.jpg

This older image of the housing removed (image is not from my vehicle) shows where the belt goes around sprocket and clutch.

sprocket example.jpg

How can I convert in order to use "standard" rims/tires? Would I need a different sprocket? Is solving one issue going to create another. I have basic knowledge of how this should work but won't be able to look for issues down the line.

Thanks for any reply or suggestion!

Bbqjoe

Banned
Reaction score
I realize you have sentimental value wrapped up in this thing, but it looks like way more hassle than it's worth, at least to me.

Why not just build up a new kart, and put that body on it?

outofmyfundermind

Reaction score
Not so much sentimental, really thought it would be a quick fix.... basically cosmetic and new tires. lol The body and tub(frame) are in very good shape so I think I'm going to convert the belt drive to a chain. With some help from a coworker I think it's doable as long as I can switch out the rear wheels. If the effort goes south I'm just making a wall hanging out of the body.

Tom Knight

Metal fabricator/welder
Reaction score
I've seen some other Funder Wheel karts which have different wheels on and am trying to find out from those people. problem is, some of the post are from so far back i'm wondering if people are even active any longer. can you tell me more about the inflatable belt to seat? I'm not familiar with that terminology. Was your dad from Indy?

Yes I'm from Indy west 17th street and Lafayette rd. 2 miles east of 500 track. My Dad was a home builder there, 1940'60's
The inflatable belt is used in tire shops it goes around outside of tire on tread area & swells up to hold tire bead to rim so tubeless tires can take air, use tubes and not needed....
Heres my cycle kart sorta a knock off of 1911 Indy winner, 1st one "Marmon Wasp" Tom

Attachments

• P1050228.jpg
    P1050228.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 6

Bbqjoe

Banned
Reaction score
Yes I'm from Indy west 17th street and Lafayette rd. 2 miles east of 500 track. My Dad was a home builder there, 1940'60's
The inflatable belt is used in tire shops it goes around outside of tire on tread area & swells up to hold tire bead to rim so tubeless tires can take air, use tubes and not needed....
Heres my cycle kart sorta a knock off of 1911 Indy winner, 1st one "Marmon Wasp" Tom
Most cool!:thumbsup:

Hellion

Reaction score
Is the entire Funderkart body made of plastic?

If there's a steel frame in there somewhere, I would envision welding in some axle hangers, adding a live axle or fabbing up something for one-wheel drive.

It is kind of neat how the wheel interlocks with its own 'socket' which is then connected to a toothed cog for the belt-drive belt.

I've never seen anything like this before in my life.

Hellion

Reaction score
You just haven't lived son, you just haven't lived. :D

Question is, do I wanna live to see this sort of thing? Small-engine powered recreational vehicles are already disposable enough--did we really need one modeled after a Bic lighter?

It's like asking to see more depravity in society.

outofmyfundermind

Reaction score
Is the entire Funderkart body made of plastic?

If there's a steel frame in there somewhere, I would envision welding in some axle hangers, adding a live axle or fabbing up something for one-wheel drive.

It is kind of neat how the wheel interlocks with its own 'socket' which is then connected to a toothed cog for the belt-drive belt.

I've never seen anything like this before in my life.

Yep, all plastic body. Since the rear tires hold air I might just replace the front wheels and go with that until the rear tires go. I wanted to have matching wheels, but honestly I'd rather wait until I absolutely have to replace with the rear tires to get wheels for the back and get into the mess. The rear tires look decent and have good tread, they're just 23 years old.

Depending on when all that happens is when I'll make decisions about the rear tires/wheels, and drive mechanism. Most likely I'll switch from belt to chain somehow. I haven't started on the project but will keep posting as I go along and ask questions as I need to. Appreciate all the feedback so far. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.