Fuel system for motorcycle engine kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smcgillis10

Reaction score
In putting a motorcycle engine into a kart.
The engine is originally had a gravity fed fuel system and that's not going to work with the kart. Has anyone put a fuel pump onto a kart with a motorcycle engine?

Home made kart
1983 Honda gs750 engine.

machinist@large

Reaction score
The engine is originally had a gravity fed fuel system and that's not going to work with the kart. Has anyone put a fuel pump onto a kart with a motorcycle engine?

Home made kart
1983 Honda gs750 engine.

Yes, people have put cycle engines on a cart: there are several types of pump's that can be used for your application. Unfortunately, I've never performed one, so hopefully some of the others can chime in....?.

Joe-405

Enjoying New Projects
Reaction score
You need a pulse pump. I had a kx125 shifter kart and it worked great.

Desertduler

Reaction score

Home made kart
1983 Honda gs750 engine.

If you indeed are going to use a fuel pump with the carburetors that are set up for gravity feed set up as you are going to use you must change all the float needles in the carburetors to 1.5mm float needle seats or you risk the fuel pump blowing the float needles off their seats and over fueling the float bowls that is why there are different size float needle seats 1.5mm for fuel pump delivery systems or 2mm or larger for gravity feed set ups.

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
You could also use the pump to feed a small tank, being used to gravity feed the engine. The tank only has to be big enough to hold more than the pump can pump at idle and wide open. That way it remains gravity feed. O, you would need to run a return line, to release pressure build up and excess fuel that might accumulate. It would still be gravity fed.....

Smcgillis10

Reaction score
I was thinking that maybe a loop kind of system woul work where it goes from the pump to a "T" and one end goes back to the tank and the other goes into the carb.

But put the t like 1-2 inches from the inlet to the carbs so that it would always have fuel right there

Desertduler

Reaction score
I was thinking that maybe a loop kind of system woul work where it goes from the pump to a "T" and one end goes back to the tank and the other goes into the carb.

But put the t like 1-2 inches from the inlet to the carbs so that it would always have fuel right there

I have done something like that before and I used a bypass tee from a Honda Odessy fuel system and I also have used a tee set up with a orfice about .030 in the fuel line off of the tee leading back to the fuel tank.

thebozz

Reaction score
I have an xj600 engine on my go kart. I found a universal electric fuel pump with as low pressure as I could on ebay (mine came out to be 1-3 psi) then I found a fuel shut off valve and I have it closed as much as I can while still leaving it a little bit open. So the whole setup includes the filter, then fuel pump, then fuel shut off valve.

fowler

Reaction score
a tee would work

but put the tee about 6inches above the carb

so the pump fills the line and inturn the fuel system
and the remaining is returned to tank
make the return hose a smaller diamiter
or best put a tap on it so u can fine tune the orifice so it doesnt lean out

a surge tank is best
the pump fills the tank from the bottom
like a 500ml tank

once filled a hose at the top allows the fuel to return