From little kit kart to mini dune buggy

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcook3333

Dean
Reaction score
Well, this is my first time trying this, so let's see how it works. I've got so many good ideas from this forum, that thought I'd post this hoping that someone else may benefit like I did.

I bought this kart early in 2009. We live on a dead-end street, and there was a mini-bike using it, so this thing was a hit. 5 hp briggs, live axle, torque converter- all the right stuff for the job(first picture).
104_0650.jpg

Well, then the ugly bald lady next door must have decided that kids should not have fun on the weekend. In comes the GKCSI - that's go-kart-crime-scene-investigators for those who may have not known. Anyway, no more GK on the street. So... We have places in the area to go offroad, so decided to convert over. Changed out the tires to balloon. When I'd take the kids out, they were reluctant to go off on their own. So I decided to get a 2nd 2-seater kart. Found a manco vortex, which must have been a popular thing at Quality Tractor in the area. I will try to post a separate story on that one. But I knew that it needed a better motor, so I bought a 16hp gx390 clone and took the 6.5 motor from it and put it on this small buggy. That and the tires in this 2nd picture.
104_0750.jpg

We put the 2 karts through their paces this fall. Then did some projects on each through Dec and Jan. For this Kart, I built a rollcage- converted the rear from rigid to a swingarm suspension, put some fenders on the front. In these pictures, you see the thing all torn down ready for paint, then a couple of the re-assembly. In the latter days of the build, the local Safety Officer, who also serves double-duty as spouse, asked for an additional bar... like a door on the side. That plus the padding I hope will make this a very safe ride. The last photo is the fiished product with pads, door, and all.
HPIM2213 shrunk.JPGHPIM2217 shrunk.JPGHPIM2218 shrunk.JPGHPIM2220 shrunk.JPG[/ATTACH]

Going to take some time in late winter and spring to enjoy these things. We have some reservations at the ATV park in the summer.

Next up for this buggy... Rear fenders... Going to put on a single a-arm front underneath the floor. Think I may wait until next winter for that one... and may put on a rack-n-pinion if I can find one cheap. Do that all at the same time. And then, wait until the boy is a little older - and drop in a 420cc clone like the other buggy. He needs a little experience before doing that... Any other suggestions???

Hope this post works out.

Attachments

• HPIM2221 shrunk.JPG
    HPIM2221 shrunk.JPG
    297.6 KB · Views: 109

dcook3333

Dean
Reaction score
Yes, that is right. the 420cc is a clone of the gx390 with a bigger bore. Will have to take a picture of that buggy and get it on here. Did not build it from the ground up... like this one. Just shoe-horned in that engine, added a comet 40 TC, and put a rack-n-pinion on it.
And thanks.

NJOHC

Reaction score
That little thing is cool! You did everything to it that I eventually want to do with mine. Once you get that clone on there it should fly! That little scoobie can only do so much stock governed lol.

dcook3333

Dean
Reaction score
Thanks.
The only thing holding me back from more power is my son's age. If he spends another summer or two in the seat, he'll be ready.
Also, I'm experimenting with hooking the clone motor on the other kart into an early 90s polaris gearbox. It has low-high-reverse. If this works out, then I'll do it on this Kart, too.
I'm finding some good "shaft adaptors" out there that I think will adapt standard 3/4 inch shafts to the tranny. No machining... some cutting, maybe a tack weld or two. The reason for going that old is that anything about 2000 or newer is shaft drive and not chain...
Will do a separate post if that works out...

NJOHC

Reaction score
Sounds interesting, Good move in letting your son have more seat time too. I've witnessed what too much power and not enough skill results in. Best of luck to you and your son!

Status
Not open for further replies.