Free 3D modeling software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
So I'm on the hunt for a good 3D CAD program that I could install so I can do some designs. My drawing ability sucks, as I can see how what I want to make, but I can't draw it out on paper, ie 2D...or at least very well. I'm pretty good at doing stuff in auto-cad as I did take a class way back in high school, so its been over 5 years since then. Would get a license for auto-CAD but, I don't have the $1000+ per month for it, so that's why I'm looking for a free program and not a pirated version.

Worst comes to absolute worst, I could do my designs out of a lot of card board, but I'd rather save that for trying to make my parts when I build my project. Just need somewhat bare bones where I can put out measurements and create it in a 3D environment. Most of which I find, seem to only be 30 day trials and I know for a fact that 30 days is just too short.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
Well dang thanks guys. Guess I have my work cut out for me on what to use. Probably try them all to see which I like more.

Sent from Tapatalk while on the porcelain thrown!

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh.. and in case you would like to NOT install anything to test..

try tinkercad:
https://www.tinkercad.com/

online based.. a bit laggy at times (at least on this side of the planet)
but a recent browser is all you need to fiddle with it ;)

'sid

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I can deal with lag. When I took CAD back in my senior year of high school, I bogged the computer badly while making a speaker cabinet on it. Way too many entities on it and I had overloaded it, to the point of it crashing the computer...fortunately I didn't lose more than 5 minutes of work. So nothing I haven't dealt with before lol.

mckutzy

Reaction score
I know about the licenses for a genuine Autodesk product.... they are expensive..... and most cant afford the license..... unless your a business......
I have had a hard time tying to find a similar product to the Autocad as they all have a twist to there variant, causing some difficulties learning the ropes. Hence why that 30days isn't enough..

I recently, through a organization I belong to, managed to get a license for the Autodesk product design suite.... for cheap...... Expensive... but much cheaper......
There are ways to get the genuine product....legally... through certain criteria if met......

None the less, I'd like to hear about what you find the best as close to the Autodesk product, you can find...... my license isn't forever unfortunately....

Kartorbust

Reaction score
If I still was a college student, I would easily get at least a super cheaper version of AutoCad student...they have it for $100...or they did back when I was in college. It's true, college students are usually poor, especially technical college students.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
well if it doesn't have to be free.. progeCAD comes at a reasonable price (compared to AutoCAD)
so does nanocad (in the pro and plus versions) [the basic version is still free]

here are a few others (and the two mentioned above) side by side
http://www.idesigni.co.uk/blog/10-autocad-alternatives/

'sid

PS since we talk...
alternativeto is a great resource to find similar software (hence the name)
http://alternativeto.net/software/autocad/
works for nearly every software you want/need to replace ;)

chancer

ɔ ɥ ɐ u ɔ ǝ ɹ
Reaction score
I Downloaded "Sketchup" free 30 day trial.
I was not able to use it though. My fault due to lack of computer skills and patience.

Anyway here are all the responses from when I asked the same question 3 months ago:
http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=32608

[Edit]
Sounds like you will go the 3DCAD route. But what I ended up doing was using 1/4" Graph paper and used a scale of 1"=1/4". ALL 2D
Drew by hand then scanned into MS Paint, for labeling and such.

Attachments

• beer cart frame PAINT.jpg
    beer cart frame PAINT.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 11

sethro34

Reaction score
I've designed and printed several 3D printers using google sketchup. Great free software.

Kartorbust

Reaction score
I actually have looked at SketchUp and was about to get it until I saw only a 30 day trial. I don't mind 2D, it's just for whatever reason I'm not great at 2D drawings.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll never understand why people like sketchtup tbh..
it's relatively easy, relatively accurate ... relatively everything.
And in the end it's not good at anything.
might just be me or the fact that I tried when it still was google...

Anyways, Kartorburst sketchup is still free for private use.. (sketchup Make IIRC)

But allow me to ask.. AutoCAD is all about 2D drawings to make a 3D drawing.
if you can't make a decent 2D drawing, how could you be "pretty good" in AutoCad but fail on graph paper, it's the exact same process ?

'sid

Kartorbust

Reaction score
It's weird really. I just suck at drawing on paper. Just easier on a computer for me I guess. I'm trying both freeCad and blender.

odledh

Reaction score
I'm Telling you,

Goto,
Cad.onshape.com

There you can subscribe for a free 3d modeling software that is online.
you can use this on any device you have such as a laptop or ipad or tablet and even a smart phone So you can look at plans as you build the cart!
It is very easy to use and the UI is nice.

I would strongly recommend you try this!
If you are used to SolidWorks at all it has a very similar feel to it because it is being made by the same people who invented SolidWorks

Tinkicker

Are you stupid, boy?
Reaction score
I actually have looked at SketchUp and was about to get it until I saw only a 30 day trial. I don't mind 2D, it's just for whatever reason I'm not great at 2D drawings.

I love SketchUp personally. The 30 days is the SketchUp Pro trial. After that it reverts to the regular version, which doesn't have quite as many bells and whistles, but which is much more than sufficient...and free. I've been using it for years now.

pRoFiT

Can't buy it?, build it!
Reaction score
Wow thread kind of old. I use pro/e wildfire. And also have copy of solid works. But my work uses pro/e so that's what I learned. Great for designing solid things. For kart building maybe harder as you would probably need to build each piece and then create an assembly. Might have a pipe tool for it. Never looked. I find graph paper to start is quicker. Then draw in software.

Status
Not open for further replies.