Frankindrift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amped

New member
Messages
180
Reaction score
0
Location
Port St Joe, Florida , U.S.A.
This will be my first kart build. I live on the beach so I want a to build a off road drift kart. I've decided to call it Frankindrift because I'll be using as many salvaged parts as I can. This is the frame I plan to use. I traded an old trailer axle for it. It has a little surface rust but everything at the beach does.The motor mount plate is for a small engine something under 5hp . So I cut it out. I'll make a new one when I know for sure what engine I'll use. Does anyone know the type of frame this is?
 

Attachments

  • sand drift kart_0789.jpg
    sand drift kart_0789.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 32
  • sand drift kart_0783.jpg
    sand drift kart_0783.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 27
  • sand drift kart_0786.jpg
    sand drift kart_0786.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 23
  • sand drift kart_0792.jpg
    sand drift kart_0792.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 29

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
I don't know what the frame is, but you might have jumped the gun cutting the engine mount plate out. Do you have any idea what engine you want to use? The venerable GX200, and the ever-popular clones would likely have fit that plate.
 

Amped

New member
Messages
180
Reaction score
0
Location
Port St Joe, Florida , U.S.A.
Possible engine

I got this Honda GX340 11hp for $1.The guy said it was locked up. I didn't pull the cord or anything until I got it home. I couldn't pull the cord but the crank turned backwards a little by hand. It was full of motor milk (oil and water). Pulled the oil plug, spark plug, head cover and carb. And started pulling until it was empty. The compression was good and there wasn't any rust in the milk. I think it can be saved. Probably gonna need a new carb though. After I further inspection I realized that the crank has been re-sized to fit a smaller bore . I have a 20 series comet and a 30 series comet I picked up at the scrapyard that will fit. I just fear the belts will not hold up to 11hp. I would really like to use a 40 series If the engine looks worth in when I open it up I may look into a another crankshaft. Do you guys think a racing clutch will hold up to use in sandy environment?
 

Attachments

  • sand drift kart_0774.jpg
    sand drift kart_0774.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 24
  • sand drift kart_0776.jpg
    sand drift kart_0776.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 21
  • sand drift kart_0773.jpg
    sand drift kart_0773.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 24
  • sand drift kart_0772.jpg
    sand drift kart_0772.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 23
  • sand drift kart_0771.jpg
    sand drift kart_0771.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 21

souperman000

New member
Messages
2,466
Reaction score
11
Location
Westlake Village, CA
in any off road environment, a CVT is always better. Too bad you don't have a 40 series, you are right that with a 30 series that thing will be a belt eating behemoth.
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
Man, did you get a deal! I used to have a GX340- Best dang industrial engine I have ever owned!!!

You really should look into a Comet 40 for that thing. What's the crank been turned down to? 3/4? You can probably fab up an adapter to bring it back to 1". A racing clutch will hold up, but NOTHING will perform like the CVT will under your circumstances.
 

Amped

New member
Messages
180
Reaction score
0
Location
Port St Joe, Florida , U.S.A.
I got this Honda GX340 11hp for $1.The guy said it was locked up. I didn't pull the cord or anything until I got it home. I couldn't pull the cord but the crank turned backwards a little by hand. It was full of motor milk (oil and water). Pulled the oil plug, spark plug, head cover and carb. And started pulling until it was empty. The compression was good and there wasn't any rust in the milk. I think it can be saved. Probably gonna need a new carb though. After I further inspection I realized that the crank has been re-sized to fit a smaller bore . I have a 20 series comet and a 30 series comet I picked up at the scrapyard that will fit. I just fear the belts will not hold up to 11hp. I would really like to use a 40 series If the engine looks worth in when I open it up I may look into a another crankshaft. Do you guys think a racing clutch will hold up to use in sandy environment?

Hard to find parts for this engine. NR Racing has a Honda Crankshaft for $169 and an aftermarket crankshaft for $89. It doesn't tell the difference though. I found cheap carbs on Buycheaper.com. Has anyone used this site? Does anyone have any suggestions for making an adapter for the re-sized crankshaft so I can use a 40 series torque converter? What is the best online parts supplier?
 

Doc Sprocket

*********
Messages
15,677
Reaction score
151
Location
Ontario, Canada
If you have a farm supply store near you (like Tractor Supply), they will have 3-point-lift adapter bushings for tractors. They are steel sleeves, 3/4"ID, 1" OD, and about 2" long. Perfect for the job, then you just have to do some keyway magic.
 

mysteryboy28

New member
Messages
1,582
Reaction score
11
Location
Lansing, MI
i have a new gx340 clone carb i'll ship you for $25. send me a personal message (PM) if interested. they work perfect on hondas!
 

Amped

New member
Messages
180
Reaction score
0
Location
Port St Joe, Florida , U.S.A.
What scrap yard do you go to because i can tell you now i've never even seen anything go kart in any scrap yards near my house.

Coastal metals Panama City, Florida. Lewis Metals,Panama City,Florida. I was a metal worker by trade until February of this year. So I've been hauling scrap from job sites every other saturday for the past 5 yrs. When I decided to go go kart I called my friends at the scrap yard and had them pull any thing kart to the side and give me a call. I'm actually going to pickup a complete kart in the morning. It pays to make friends everywhere. I'll post some pics tomorrow when I get back.
 

Amped

New member
Messages
180
Reaction score
0
Location
Port St Joe, Florida , U.S.A.
If you have a farm supply store near you (like Tractor Supply), they will have 3-point-lift adapter bushings for tractors. They are steel sleeves, 3/4"ID, 1" OD, and about 2" long. Perfect for the job, then you just have to do some keyway magic.

Thanks, that sounds like the easiest way. The key way should be easy to do. The hard part is paying for a new 40 series. I will not use the 20 or 30 series I have with this engine. I don't like to do things halfassed. Do you recomend a place to get one at a good price.
 

Amped

New member
Messages
180
Reaction score
0
Location
Port St Joe, Florida , U.S.A.
Coastal metals Panama City, Florida. Lewis Metals,Panama City,Florida. I was a metal worker by trade until February of this year. So I've been hauling scrap from job sites every other saturday for the past 5 yrs. When I decided to go go kart I called my friends at the scrap yard and had them pull any thing kart to the side and give me a call. I'm actually going to pickup a complete kart in the morning. It pays to make friends everywhere. I'll post some pics tomorrow when I get back.

As promised the kart I got this morning. I cleaned the carb put in some gas. Started about the time I started swearing at it. The engine needs a little love. The recoil starter reads gx140 5hp, but the block reads gx160 (5.5hp).The frame is way to heavy for 5.5hp. I got this thing for $50. That includes Gas in my truck to go get it and a Box of fresh doughnuts for the guys at scrap yard. The frame has some damage but as I'm not using it for Frankindrift I don't have to worry with it right now.
 

Attachments

  • sand drift kart_0806.jpg
    sand drift kart_0806.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 17
  • sand drift kart_0805.jpg
    sand drift kart_0805.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 20
  • sand drift kart_0804.jpg
    sand drift kart_0804.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 25
  • sand drift kart_0812.jpg
    sand drift kart_0812.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 18
  • sand drift kart_0780.jpg
    sand drift kart_0780.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 19
  • sand drift kart_0813.jpg
    sand drift kart_0813.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 15

Amped

New member
Messages
180
Reaction score
0
Location
Port St Joe, Florida , U.S.A.
progress

The big kart I got earlier has provided 1" axle w/hubs , steering wheel, rims and tires, some chain, sprockets , and band brakes. The frame and engine I'll store for future use. I also found a seat frame. Trying to talk a friend into bead blasting all the old paint for me. He is reluctant because he knows If he does I'll ask him to powder coat it next.:devil2:
 

Attachments

  • sand drift kart_0808.jpg
    sand drift kart_0808.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 16
  • sand drift kart_0809.jpg
    sand drift kart_0809.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 13
  • sand drift kart_0810.jpg
    sand drift kart_0810.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 13
  • sand drift kart_0811.jpg
    sand drift kart_0811.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 21

Amped

New member
Messages
180
Reaction score
0
Location
Port St Joe, Florida , U.S.A.
Good deal right there, one question though, are you going to be riding that kart primarily in the sand ?

Asphalt ,sand and sand/clay mix for now. I'll be moving back to north Georgia as soon the house sales.I will not be taking it to the dunes. You need paddle tires and power to spare to play there . I'm thinking dirt road drifter. The DRs here are sand/clay mix . That would be a fun thread. video of the places we ride.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top