ML-TOYS
New member
When you guys extend or stretch a frame what way do you do it ?
I was going to put a pipe inside the fron & back halves and weld, but then its a narrower pipe.....hmmmmmm
I was going to put a pipe inside the fron & back halves and weld, but then its a narrower pipe.....hmmmmmm
Well, if it where meI've done this before), I would find a piece of SOLID bar with an O.D. the same size as I.D. of kart frame tube. And another piece of tube the same size as kart tube. Lets say we are gonna do a 12" stretch..... cut frame at location on stretch. You're gonna need 2 pieces of solid bar at least 4" long ,no more than 6"... and a 12" length of spare tube. Mark center of solid bar and grind a groove all the way around ,about .06" deep and 1/8" wide. Drill a 1/4" hole all the way through the tube about 1/2" from the end of bar. Jam bar into tube till center. Spot weld tube to bar through the 2 holes. Weld all around at the center. Repeat for othe side and your other "scab" tube. Drill the same type hole in your frame tubes. Assemble all the pieces together and tac, then check for square n plum...... if all is good, weld it up. When done right, no one will know you even did it. The method described in earlier post will leave a big bulge of un sightly pipe....... you cant hide.
I was re thinking my earlier post. On a kart, a 3" slug would be sufficient I believe. (1&1/2" per side of cut) I think any longer, will take the "spring" out of the frame....