Foamy Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky7

Reaction score
I got a horizontal engine NOT running alcohol and my oil is kinda foamy. Just got the engine( its on a snowblower). The engine had no oil in it because the crankcase seal was removed. I filled the engine with sae 30 and let it run for about 20-30 seconds. Then turned it off and checked the oil. It was lower than before but not enough to cause damage. It was foamy like when you pour new pop into a glass and you get that foam. My dad says there could have been moisture in the tank which could have been a possibility because the engine was sitting for a year or two. What should I do. Sorry for hijacking your thread.

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I got a horizontal engine NOT running alcohol and my oil is kinda foamy. Just got the engine( its on a snowblower). The engine had no oil in it because the crankcase seal was removed. I filled the engine with sae 30 and let it run for about 20-30 seconds. Then turned it off and checked the oil. It was lower than before but not enough to cause damage. It was foamy like when you pour new pop into a glass and you get that foam. My dad says there could have been moisture in the tank which could have been a possibility because the engine was sitting for a year or two. What should I do. Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Change the oil a few times until it is not foamy

Lucky7

Reaction score
So what is in the oil that is making it foamy? And will it be bad for the engine if I leave it in there. Or could I take the crankcase cover off. Clean the whole inside of the engine. Then put it back together and put new oil in?

OzFab

Reaction score
Please don't hijack others threads; no matter how similar your issue is, it's always better to start your own thread...

Foamy oil is caused by excessive air; the #1 way this can happen is as a result of "blow by", caused by worn piston rings; do a compression test & report the result...

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
The number one way to get foamy oil is to not have enough oil in the crank case. ;) See the crank will whip a low oil level into a foamy broth quicker with less oil than with more. But both are bad. Water or antifreeze is number 2. I have never seen excessive blow by cause foamy oil unless accompanied by a blown head gasket with anti-freeze leaking into the oil. Drain the oil you have in there (for insurance) after you warm the engine to operating temperature. Then refill to the proper level with the oil of you're choice. I my self prefer Shell Rotella T 15w40. Good luck and make sure you drain all the old oil out. :thumbsup:

Denny
:feedtroll:

Lucky7

Reaction score
Well the crankcase seal is off. So I am guessing it is the air getting in (or out). So I will just get a seal and see how th oil is after I run it. Thanks for the help and I promise I won't hijack another thread. Please dont ban me Fabroman.

Status
Not open for further replies.