flathead throttle linkage help /no gov

Status
Not open for further replies.

02mx-5

Reaction score
I hav eremoved the governor form my 5hp flathead. Can anyone show me some pics how to hook up the throttle? I have a throttle kit but i dont think it will work.

02mx-5

Reaction score
I know that, but i did figurng it would help. I have just a stock carb with the governor removed. Now i need to know how to hook a throttle cable to the carb.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
Cable, attaches to butterfly haha. And then there's the part that holds back the throttle cable black plastic cover majigger, you position it somewhere on the motor to prevent the actual cable coating from moving.

lemegacool

got boost? :)
Reaction score
just a tip... when requetsing help on a topic like that try to include a pic of you own carb... it will be so much easier for us to help!

anyway... audio connectors, springs and hose clamps will come in handy when working on throttles...

anderkart

Reaction score
Here's a pic I found: http://media.photobucket.com/image/go kart throttle cable/bsbretly/gokart-side.jpg
This guy has his return spring instaled around the cable. I like that setup but I'd add a second return spring attached directly to the bellcrank incase the throttle cable broke or something.

If you post a pic of your carb and throttle cable/linkage, we might be able to give you some more ideas. But you would just attach your throttle cable (or linkage) to whatever small hole in your carbs belcranks gives you the best pulling angle, (or even drill a new hole if necessary) and then do whatever's necessary to install a return spring to pull the carbs bellcrank back to the idle position. Then simply clamp the throttle cables housing down to something nearby to secure it. You'd then slide/adjust the cables housing back and forth in its clamp as necessary to adjust for both full throttle and idle operation.

You'll want to set it up so when you push down hard on the gas pedal, theres something acting as a pedal stop at full throttle besides your carbs linkage. The carbs componets can sometimes get all bent up when you dont.

02mx-5

Reaction score
I would have shown a picture but i thought that flathead briggs were all the same, unless the are modified. which i never said mine was. The link anderkart posted is just like my carb. That is exactly what i was looking for. I was trying to hook up the throttle to the black plastic piece that isnt being used in the picture. That is why i was having a hard time. Thanks anderkart

Status
Not open for further replies.