Flame thrower exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

poppintoppin

town pimp
Reaction score
I know one of the easiest ways to make a flame thrower is to have propane, hydrogen (if you want to die), or gas on a flame. Have you ever run an engine with the exhaust off, if you have you will see a flame from the exploding gas in the cylinder. But basically my question is can I run a propane line into the exhaust manifold and have a flame throwing exhaust? My engine is a semi-old Briggs and Stratton 6.5 horse power if it helps. Also can I do anything without blowing my whole minibike up?!:confused: :confused: :confused:

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw a mini bike that a guy had a propane bottle hooked in to the exhuast. And the end of the exhaust there was some kind of deally that made the propane flame up a lot. It looked cool, but I never got a chance to ask how he did the whole thing.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw a mini bike that a guy had a propane bottle hooked in to the exhuast. And the end of the exhaust there was some kind of deally that made the propane flame up a lot. Kinda like a spark arrester. It looked cool, but I never got a chance to ask how he did the whole thing. I guess it wasn't really out the tail pipe, it was angled up toward the sky behind the rider.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
I was actually wanting to do something like this a while ago. My idea was to put a fuel injector somewhere in the exhaust pipe and a spark plug so when you wanted flames, you would push a button and activate the injector. I haven't played with a fuel injector though and I don't have any laying around.

poppintoppin

town pimp
Reaction score
I was actually wanting to do something like this a while ago. My idea was to put a fuel injector somewhere in the exhaust pipe and a spark plug so when you wanted flames, you would push a button and activate the injector. I haven't played with a fuel injector though and I don't have any laying around.

Well i have two questions about that 1. where would you store extra fuel? and 2. where would you get the spark for it (or where will you get the electricity for it?).

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
No extra fuel, just have some tubing going to the injector. CRAP, I was at several car wrecking yards yesterday and I could have gotten some injectors to play with! Oh well, next time. The electricity for the spark would have to come from the magneto or have a separate high voltage power supply. Having an extra high voltage coil could work as well.

nitro4lf

Reaction score
it sound that u can do it with a butane tank the small ones they sale @ home depo just pipe it 2 the exhaust as 4 the spark a spark plug would work all you have 2 do is tap into the main spark from your motor and it should light up seen it done in one of the episodes of monster garage were they built a mustang lawn mower they had one of those setups

ineed2fly

Reaction score
You can also put a spark plug in your exaust and run a wire and switch off ur magneto and if your fuel is relativly rich it will ignite. Not as cool but works. Just make sure your pipe is like 2 feet though cuz if it backs up into the engine its dead.

robin

Reaction score
backfiring wont blow your engine pepole often say this relay confused me if you engine backfires allot their is probs something rong int the first place like mixture, ignition only think i have ever broke is the exhaust put a bike one on and it blew the baffles out of it

Russ2251

AZUSA:Powered by LAWN-BOY
Reaction score
Just to clarify-A true backfire emanates from combustion chamber and exits past intake valve and ultimately out of mouth of carb. This can indicate a lean carb setting, leaking valve or gaskets, faulty ignition/valve timing, bad plug...etc.

oscaryu1

Reaction score

Actually, just ground the engine... that should push some gas outta the exhaust, use a "spark starter" that you find in grills and connect that to a spark plug, click and boom.

crazycart

RedNek Engineering
Reaction score
Actually, just ground the engine... that should push some gas outta the exhaust, use a "spark starter" that you find in grills and connect that to a spark plug, click and boom.

You may get a tiny flame with that but otherwise you'll just kill the engine if you don't have a large flywheel to keep it spinning.

oscaryu1

Reaction score
You may get a tiny flame with that but otherwise you'll just kill the engine if you don't have a large flywheel to keep it spinning.

Yeah that's true... but that's what I inferred from those car ones I saw on eBay...

Take in mind... DON'T BUY THEM. Think about your catalytic converter... ;)

athif

Reaction score
you can get a BBQ grills spark ignition, attatch the trigger to the handle-bar near the gas, run a cable straight down through the exhaust pipe and poke a hole right at the tip, its important that the cables are as far as you can get them enough to make a spark inbetween the two wires
run a fuel line (possibly with a mini propane tank you use for camping).

I did this at school as a class project, the flame will run about 1 feet out, since its propane u cant see it in the daytime.

sadly we had to take apart the system because the principle said its an unsafe act, my teacher got mad cause he loved the flaming exhaust

i know its hard to understand, i with i could show you but the contraption is already dismanteld

Status
Not open for further replies.