Fixing up a Dune Cat for a friend.

msrfan

Reaction score
My buddy Dave dropped this Dune Cat off to me and said it needed an engine. So I rounded up a GX160 Honda and a Comet belt drive. I can't just throw an engine on it like he wanted, so I took it all apart. Good thing I did because I found some cracks in the frame and everything was rusted.20230302_104935[1].jpg20230302_110411[1].jpg20230302_131945[1].jpg He took the frame to his shop for welding, blasting and painting. Also the wheels for new tires. Gonna try and do it up right and solid.

Attachments

• 20230303_102851[1].jpg
    20230303_102851[1].jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 20230303_134705[1].jpg
    20230303_134705[1].jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230303_135322[1].jpg
    20230303_135322[1].jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 3

Tu tony

Reaction score
While Dave is having welding done maybe install springer spindles on the front. They don’t add much suspension height but they cut down the vibration a lot. Hope the engine fits nicely in the back. I’ve seen dune cat’s with the back all butchered up to fit the kart. Not a pretty sight

pearl111

Reaction score
I really like those karts....I was thinking of getting one, that needed worked, only I couldn't tell how well I could fit.
Question, how much leg room for an averaged sized 6" person?

msrfan

Reaction score
While Dave is having welding done maybe install springer spindles on the front. They don’t add much suspension height but they cut down the vibration a lot. Hope the engine fits nicely in the back. I’ve seen dune cat’s with the back all butchered up to fit the kart. Not a pretty sight
I'll look into the spring spindles. Are they available to purchase or would I have to make them?

msrfan

Reaction score
I really like those karts....I was thinking of getting one, that needed worked, only I couldn't tell how well I could fit.
Question, how much leg room for an averaged sized 6" person?
I saw a video of a guy that added 6 inches to his frame and body. Looked great.

Tu tony

Reaction score
Complete Springer spindles sets are sold on the web. Fairly easy to find. When welding them on don’t forget to angle them about 5 to 8 degrees ( tilted backwards) or so. Not absolutely sure on specks. When I bought my dune cat for my son being 5’11” tall I had to sit Kama Sutra style with no seat cushions for a test drive. If the kart is for someone over 5’ having it stretched can save you from kissing your knees on every turn and bump. The karts vibration takes a toll on your body. Spongy steering wheel helps along with a thick seat cushion.

msrfan

Reaction score
Complete Springer spindles sets are sold on the web. Fairly easy to find. When welding them on don’t forget to angle them about 5 to 8 degrees ( tilted backwards) or so. Not absolutely sure on specks. When I bought my dune cat for my son being 5’11” tall I had to sit Kama Sutra style with no seat cushions for a test drive. If the kart is for someone over 5’ having it stretched can save you from kissing your knees on every turn and bump. The karts vibration takes a toll on your body. Spongy steering wheel helps along with a thick seat cushion.
Good info. thanks.

Tu tony

Reaction score
Lifting the back is cool rather than taking a saw to the fiberglass. After removing and installing my shell 3 times I can say that the frame steering column is a tight fit to the fiberglass steering column hole. So you might have to enlarge or make a new hole and any place the shell is bolted or touching the frame add soft rubber washers and spacers to cuts down on vibration and possible future cracks in the fiberglass.

Tu tony

Reaction score
One last thing LOL. Any part of the tube frame that’s a 1/4” to 1/2” away from the fiberglass I put high density black plumbing pipe insulation in that spot. With the weight of the driver the shell will flex and rub on the frame causing more vibration. Everyone likes a smooth ride!

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
Those are cool! Restored versions are almost too valuable to ride. Now if upping the hp it would be a good idea to go to a solid live axle. Those diffs don’t like a bunch of power to them. They get kind of cracky!