Fixing Ackerman

Status
Not open for further replies.

souperman000

Reaction score
Is there anyway to adjust the ackerman beside cuting off and re-welding the arms? I do not have access to the tools neccessary to do that right now.

Could just bending them work? I know I would have to shorten my tierods. I'm going to get better quality tires and I don't want to wear those out as fast as the HF ones I have now.

My arms are forward facing. You can see some pics in my build thread ~ http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14501

OzFab

Reaction score
Did you completely rebuild your steering? In the build thread, your steering arms are forward facing :confused:

Unfortunately, the only real way to fix them involves a grinder & a welder, but you don't have to cut the arms off completely...

OzFab

Reaction score
So, you mean to say that you did absolutely no welding on your kart?

You biggest problem will be making sure the steering arms clear the wheels, otherwise it's a simple 10 minute job

As for buying a welder: great idea, you'll be surprised how much you will use it.
As for which welder to buy, you'll have to ask local guys for help on that one.

Personally, I prefer welders with multiple heat settings dial, I don't like the toggle switch settings idea, too limiting. However, not a lot of smaller welders have this feature...

souperman000

Reaction score
I didn't, no. I helped make the parts and cut the metal but I didn't physically weld any of it on.

I think I might just go for the $100 HF welder. Its cheap and for a beginner, I don't think I really need anything special.

gixxerkart

Big Boss
Reaction score
A buddy and I just drilled next to the tie rod hole on the spindle. It didn't completely fix Ackerman, but it did give better steering.

gixxerkart

Big Boss
Reaction score
Ya basically you're shooting for extreme toe out. Do your spindle brackets behind the centerline of steering or In front of?

souperman000

Reaction score
Here is the linkages. I think they are behind?

souperman000

Reaction score
If I ever get a welder I will geive it a shot. Do the calculations and go for it. Right now I guess I can live with it.

The kart isn't going to be doing much driving anyway, lots of things to fix and make it super reliable (which is definetly not the case right now lol).

OzFab

Reaction score
Here is the linkages. I think they are behind?

No, they're in front. The centreline of the steering is the pivot point of the stub axles...

If I ever get a welder I will geive it a shot. Do the calculations and go for it. Right now I guess I can live with it.

The kart isn't going to be doing much driving anyway, lots of things to fix and make it super reliable (which is definetly not the case right now lol).

That doesn't sound too good... What else is wrong?

souperman000

Reaction score
That doesn't sound too good... What else is wrong?

-Chain has a broken link
-Chain keeps falling off
-need to make some sort of tensioner ^
-chain alignment
-Probably needs a jam nut on the stub axles
-Higher quality front tires
-lost some set screws...
-might get around to painting it:arf:

thats just a list I had in my head, I am sure more will come up.

gixxerkart

Big Boss
Reaction score
Well you could weld on a piece of metal like the spindle tab and have it come off 90 degrees from that then drill a hole and acquire more toe out. It'll be fine as long as you're on dirt and the tires are aloud to scrub going forwards.

souperman000

Reaction score
Well you could weld on a piece of metal like the spindle tab and have it come off 90 degrees from that then drill a hole and acquire more toe out. It'll be fine as long as you're on dirt and the tires are aloud to scrub going forwards.

if I get a welder I might as well fix it as Fabroman stated before.

Status
Not open for further replies.