Fix Your Ackerman Angle for Better Steering (no weld)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinbad001

Reaction score
As you can see my spindle came with two tie rod mounting holes. Niether one had nearly the right amount of angle. So I did some measureing, cut a triangle out of 1/4 inch steel, and bolted it on with grade 8 hardware. Steers great now.

Attachments

• kart4.jpg
    kart4.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 226

OzFab

Reaction score
Nice work :thumbsup:

This method can be used on any rearfacing arm by simply drilling an extra hole if there's only one.

This is vital, sticky worthy info!

Sinbad001

Reaction score
Nice work :thumbsup:

This method can be used on any rearfacing arm by simply drilling an extra hole if there's only one.

This is vital, sticky worthy info!

Feel free to sticky it. Anyone with a drill and a hacksaw can fix their steering. Highly stress the use of grade 8 hardware and lock washers though. And some red locktight for good measure. Cheaping out can lead to disconnected tie rods at speed.

Doc Sprocket

Reaction score
On forward-facing arms, there IS another option. You would install a pitman arm with the rod holes spaced apart, and cross the tie rods. I haven't worked out the math on getting that right, but it is feasible.

Sinbad001

Reaction score
My picture at the top of this post shows my spindle with rear facing tie rods. Most yard karts come with 90* spindles to save money. Otherwise you would need a different spindle for every length wheelbase kart. Proper ackerman isn't really a big deal on karts driven on grass and dirt, but on pavement you will tear up tires as well as other steering problems.
Some say to correct the ackerman on a spindle you need to cut the tie rod part of the spindle off and re-weld it on at the proper angle. My method introduces a bracket to put the tie rod at the proper angle.
To determine the angle you need for your kart you simply take a line from the center of your king pin to the center of the rear axle. The angle between that line and a line from the king pin straight back to the axle is your ackerman angle.
Here are some rudimentary parts to explain.

#1 is a simple 90* spindle.

#2 is a plan view of the same.

#3 shows a 12.5 degree ackerman angle, which is what my kart needed. That line goes from the center of the king pin to the center of my rear axle. Yours will probably be different.

#4 shows a second hole drilled to bolt on the bracket.

#5 shows a dimensioned sketch of the bracket which places the tie rod on the ackerman line.

#6 shows the finished bracket bolted on with the relocated tie rod bolted on.

All of this only works with rear facing tie rods. I hope this answers your questions.

Attachments

• AME858881.jpg
    AME858881.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 34
  • AME858882.jpg
    AME858882.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 29
  • AME858883.jpg
    AME858883.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 35
  • AME858884.jpg
    AME858884.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 34
  • AME858885.jpg
    AME858885.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 43
  • AME858886.jpg
    AME858886.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 45

yerf_dogger

Reaction score
I suppose it does, and thank you for the info.

Problem is I do not have rear facing tie rods!

Sinbad001

Reaction score
Then you would connect the bracket to the other side of the steering arm

The line from the rear axle would continue through the king pin to the outboard side, so the bracket would also flip over to point outboard. Provided there is clearance to the tire and rim it would work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.