First time kart owner - manco dingo

Nelliefj40

Reaction score
Thanks again everyone. I've pulled the engine and am seriously considering just starting over with the predator 212. I don't want to spend much money to get it going but i don't wanna keep having to chase my tail either.

If i went with the 212 can i reuse the parts i took off the briggs or do i need to buy other items as well?

Thanks!

shinwrx187

Reaction score
You should be able to use everything, pulleys, sprocket, chain ect. Your basically just bolting a new engine to your stand/body. You might need a couple different bolts here and there misc stuff but you should be able to get it going and i guarantee you'll be way happier cause the motor is brand new. Just make sure you do the proper break in, oil changes and dont beat on it. The 5hp briggs are a major pain, i removed my governor internals and removed all the linkages to my carburetor so it is just connected to my pedal and i went to start my engine and i had no spark.. well the ground that goes from the back of the magneto to the back of the motor ground connection was loose.. so after figuring that out i finally got it running and took it for a spin. It was well worth it. All u need for a motor to start, fuel, compression and spark. Vrooommm. Good luck and if u do upgrade your motor post some pic so we can check it out thanks.

Contender54

Reaction score
I think the engine mounts need to be modified to fit the predator on a Dingo.
I saw a picture online of someone who had to raise the engine by an inch or so, in order to get everything to fit.
if I come across the picture, I will post it.

Also, the new engine needs a backing plate on the output shaft, for the torque converter. You have to figure out how to remove the plate from the old engine.

My current project is to get the original 5 HP Briggs & Stratton running again. Which means I removed it from the cart and everything is in pieces at the moment.
But I have a predator 212 in the box, in case I get fed up with the original Briggs.

still kikn

Reaction score
I think the engine mounts need to be modified to fit the predator on a Dingo.

I had to use some spacers to raise the engine on my Dingo but only because I went to a larger rear axle sprocket. Depending on what size your rear sprocket is you may not have to raise yours, but it's not a big problem either way. The mounting bolt holes all lined up but due to the gas tank hitting up against the back of the seat( which sits at an angle, sloping towards the back) I was forced to mount the engine to the extreme rear of the mounting hole slots, leaving me no adjustment. Since then my chain has stretched enough that I'm right now in the process of moving the engine mount rearward. I only have to move it about the length of the slots, which should allow me to mount the engine forward in the slots without the tank hitting against the seat and also give me plenty of adjustment.

Nelliefj40

Reaction score
Thanks again everyone, this is great. Got the new engine today but haven't got further.

The backing plate from the old engine was mounted under the engine block if that makes sense? I've pictured it below.

Do i reinstall using that same piece?

Thanks all!!

Attachments

• 20200913_184740.jpg
    20200913_184740.jpg
    872.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200913_184748.jpg
    20200913_184748.jpg
    762.2 KB · Views: 20

still kikn

Reaction score
Your's is set up a bit different than mine. It looks like that piece you're calling a backing plate acts as a spacer to raise the engine. Mine didn't have that and I had to add individual spacers under each foot to raise mine. But you should be able to use what you have, in fact, it's probably a better setup than I have since the entire engine is supported instead of just at the corners.

I just happened to be working on my engine mount today, had to move it back an inch and a quarter to give me more adjustment as I mentioned above. Attaching a pic

Attachments

• Dingo engine mount relocated-09-13-2020.jpg
    Dingo engine mount relocated-09-13-2020.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 13

Nelliefj40

Reaction score
Thanks @still kikn!

I got everytjing installed today. That mounting plate of mine seemed to do the trick and even a mechanical misfit like me managed.

Seems to be running well. Idled for a while to "break in". Changed oil and ran. After refilling tank I'm experiencing some dying under full throttle. Could i have overfilled tank? Or some other venting issue?

Thanks all!!!

Attachments

• 16001254665985250643641394627329.jpg
    16001254665985250643641394627329.jpg
    978.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 16001255247781402420240155645594.jpg
    16001255247781402420240155645594.jpg
    813.6 KB · Views: 18

Nelliefj40

Reaction score
So a touch more info. Loosened the gas cap some. Ran it up and down pavement for 3/4 of a mile nearly all at full throttle. Ran perfect. Got on to the lawn and made a turn and it died then.

Something about the jostling of the ground or the turn?

Contender54

Reaction score
Nice!

1. Did you have to do any fab work to mount the engine?
2. Did you reuse your original torque converter?

The cutting off issue could be the low oil sensor.
I’ve heard it should be disconnected because of all the bouncing in go-carts.

still kikn

Reaction score
So a touch more info. Loosened the gas cap some. Ran it up and down pavement for 3/4 of a mile nearly all at full throttle. Ran perfect. Got on to the lawn and made a turn and it died then.

Something about the jostling of the ground or the turn?
There's an oil pressure switch that cuts the engine off when it senses low oil pressure. They often kick in on sharp turns and that may be what caused your's to die. You can by pass it just by unplugging it at the connection point. I unhooked mine because of the nuisance shutdowns, others have done the same. On mine it's a yellow wire but don't know what color it is on your's .

Nelliefj40

Reaction score
@Contender54 no fab work was necessary using the mounting plate/backing plate that was on the kart. Wellb i should say i had to bent forward the seat back by maybe a 1/4 inch to clear the gas tank.

I did reuse that and the torque converter i had vs a new backing plate/torque converter.

You and @still kikn both hit the nail on the head regarding the oil pressure sensor. Unplugged it (yellow wire) and we're im business!

Thanks SO MUCH to everyone who helped.

Contender54

Reaction score
How did you get the backing plate off the original engine?

i couldn’t remove mine, so I decided to hold off on swapping in a new engine.

Nelliefj40

Reaction score
There wasnt much to mine. Just involved the clutch from the crank. My "backing plate" which held the other pulley was mounted to the frame of the go kart.

archgordie

Reaction score
Make sure your tank breather isn’t blocked too if it creates a vacuum it won’t allow fuel to flow after a few minutes especially if tank is full to start with.