First Rebuild on my childhood go-Kart

Status
Not open for further replies.

gguuyy

Reaction score
Hey everyone just got my old kart back and I plan on fixing it back up to its original condition mostly. I don't know what brand or year it is but I've had for around 17 years. Any good tips are welcome and good websites to by parts would be very helpful also.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:

OzFab

Reaction score
Wow, How'd you get it to hang from the ceiling like that? :lolgoku:

There's a ton of places to buy parts but, it depends what parts you need; making a list of what's not there is the best place to start.

Do you still have the engine?

gguuyy

Reaction score
Yea I have the engine but I don't think it is the original one. It's a 5hp Briggs and I believe it's beyond repair. It's been sitting in a shed for the past 15 years. I want to put a good engine that could pull me around good and something I can govern down for my 6 year old to ride also. One tie rod is bent so ill replace those. It needs new brake and throttle cables,tires and wheels,and the engine. The rim size is 5 and tires are 4.10/3.10 I believe. I would like to go a few sizes larger in the back but anyways ill try to get it off the ceiling and get some Better pics up.

Oxymoron

Newbesque builder.
Reaction score
Briggs are solid engines. As long as you can turn it over by hand, and it has compression, you should be able to get it running. It wants to run :)

gguuyy

Reaction score
Yea I think I could get it running all it needs is some carb work I think and some clean up. I've got to get a gas tank also. I may use it for awhile but I want a stronger engine.

OzFab

Reaction score
I want to put a good engine that could pull me around good

Are you saying B&S aren't good engines?

and something I can govern down for my 6 year old to ride also.

That's easier said than done; Gearing down may cause damage to the clutch, it's better to gear it down...

What type of clutch do you intend to use, a centrfugal clutch or torque converter?

One tie rod is bent so ill replace those.

Did you ever thing to simply straighten it?

The rim size is 5 and tires are 4.10/3.10 I believe. I would like to go a few sizes larger in the back

You may have fun with that, 5" tyres aren't very popular...

gguuyy

Reaction score
I wasn't saying B&S aren't good engines I've always liked B&S. If there are some things I can change to get some extra torque out of it then I may keep it. I remember it having a fair top speed but low torque and had trouble on even small hills. It has a live axle. I may go with a different wheel size if need be but the rims are in decent shape so I may just keep em. I didn't mean to offend anyone and if I did then I apologize. I'm new to all this so that's why I joined to learn. Thanks for all the info

gguuyy

Reaction score
It has a slip clutch on it now so ill use it for now. It has a bolt behind the throttle that's used as a govern and ill try to straighten the tie rod but the last one I tryed to straighten snapped.

OzFab

Reaction score
Dude, relax, I was joking, I simply can't be bothered putting :D or :lolgoku: multiple times in every post; we're all pretty laid back so, you'd have to try really hard to offend most of us.

It has a slip clutch on it

I'm assuming you're referring to a centrifugal clutch; you could have a 15hp engine & still have trouble on hills, they're designed for flat track...

TheRacre

Reaction score
If you want more low end torque what you have to do is change the gearing. Get a bigger sprocket on the axle. (eg:72 teeth instead of 60 teeth) By doing this tyou will lose some top speed but gain some low end torque

gguuyy

Reaction score
The lower sprocket is a 55 tooth. Is there any way to identify the model and year of the kart? I can't find any markings on it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.