First project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.builder99

Let's bur this candle!!!
Reaction score
Hi. I'm starting a project. I'm trying to make a kart made out of 3/4 inch PVC pipe.

My motor is probably going to be a 18 - 24 v. circular saw.

My idea is to take off the nut, blade and shroud and put a spacer on the blade bolt then put the nut back on. I'll put a belt on the spacer to keep it from moving.:thumbsup:

I have all the dimensions written out. It'll be kinda' Baja styled.

I have some brakes from a bike that I'm going to put on it.

Any advice you could spare would be appreciated. Thanks!

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Let's hope she goes real slow..... (which is likely.....if it moves at all. ...)

Start a build thread. ..and call it the "Texas Killer Turtle build ..." or should that be the "Texan Killer??????"

Jeeze......you should be shot for supplying the enemy (Canadians).....with ammunition. ......

This will all become clear in a little while. .........

dcastillo

Reaction score
I hope that sch-80 pvc, cause its going to need to be pretty strong stuff...

And sadly I dont think a 24V saw is going to be enough power... unless geared really low which means you wont move very fast...
IF you are planning on gluing the pipe together.... im not sure that will work.

And it may just be me, but I am not following this statement
"My idea is to take off the nut, blade and shroud and put a spacer on the blade bolt then put the nut back on. I'll put a belt on the spacer to keep it from moving"

-Danny

Mr.builder99

Let's bur this candle!!!
Reaction score
Seriously....dude. It'll move. Ya don't have to be so negative. A saw has a lot of torque.

At least mine ain't a skinny skeleton that costs 2 hundred bucks.

Mr.builder99

Let's bur this candle!!!
Reaction score
My idea is to get a saw, take the the nut off the bolt that holds the blade on, put a spacer on the bolt that is as wide as the belt, and put the nut back on. So there's room for the belt on the bolt.

Its really quite simple. "Use your imagination, you must." - Yoda.

Mr.builder99

Let's bur this candle!!!
Reaction score
Yes... yes you have.... Sorry, guess I've been watching too many Phineas and Ferb episodes...

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
Seriously....dude. It'll move. Ya don't have to be so negative. A saw has a lot of torque.

At least mine ain't a skinny skeleton that costs 2 hundred bucks.

No.....a saw has a lot of rpm......very little tourque. ......a drill has more tourque and it won't work. .....where are you in Texas?????? .....maybe I kin hep you finish off that bottle......

Poboy kartman

Senior Moments Member
Reaction score
:lolgoku:.......I'm being nice.....you are the one that is being unreasonable. ....you have a flawed idea for a project that has no chance of success. .... (unless unmanned)......you ask for advice.....but I can tell you. .....it's going to be the same. ...forget it. ......

I don't really care if I'm getting on your nerves. ........I have stopped short of calling you by the same name that would apply to your "project".......

Nope.....nicely as I can say it......it's just plain stupid.......and don't expect anyone here to help you make an unworkable idea workable. .......

dcastillo

Reaction score
"Understand now, I do" :)

but in honesty, I dont think a circular saw will work... it take quite a bit of power to move a kart... even my 5yr old daughters kart is running a 500Watt motor on it...

sorry to be negative, just trying to save you the trouble/time...

-Danny

Amar

Reaction score
dude, if you can't go with metal, at the very least you want to use wood, and by that i mean 2x4's i mean 100ft of 2x4's is gonna run you less than 35$ and probably less than pvc its also quite strong you can lay out a 2x4x10 and only support the 2 ends and stand in the middle and it won't break, if you do go with pvc do be quite safe and stay slowwww
also a saw has a lot f speed but little torque i wanted to use 2 drill motors but even thats not enough torque i found a golf kart motor for cheap and i will be using that and also with pvs you won't have any strong points on which to mount your motor,place your batteries on, put the axles on or even put a seat on and its gonna have one heck of a flex on it

Mr.builder99

Let's bur this candle!!!
Reaction score
Well, thanks Dan.

But I only weigh 93 pounds and the entire kart is only gunna weigh 35 Max... not even that.

It may have to be pushed to get goin', but it'll go.

Amar

Reaction score
Well, thanks Dan.

But I only weigh 93 pounds and the entire kart is only gunna weigh 35 Max... not even that.

It may have to be pushed to get goin', but it'll go.

wait, holdup either your quite young and probably too naive about this build or your skinny as heck but even 100 pounds is a lot for a saw motor to handle, plus your CHASSIS is probably 35lbs your batteries are gonna be 15 each at least not to mention your drivetrain

Mr.builder99

Let's bur this candle!!!
Reaction score
Do you even know what PVC is, Amar? It's plenty strong, and I only weigh 93 pounds.

I'm not going to be driving over Mt. Everest or anything. It's a street kart.

Mr.builder99

Let's bur this candle!!!
Reaction score
The motor is going to be directly connected to the axle via belt.

And my battery is a 24 v. Lithium battery.

Amar

Reaction score
Do you even know what PVC is, Amar? It's plenty strong, and I only weigh 93 pounds.

I'm not going to be driving over Mt. Everest or anything. It's a street kart.

yes in fact i do what pvc is and i know its not very strong, I'm not gonna waste my time trying to help you if you wish to take my advice, so be it but don't go complaining when you get hurt and realize you wasted your time and money, and a lithium battery like the ones from drills and suck will probably give you a run time of 10 minutes max given the "chassis" is still intact at that point

Status
Not open for further replies.