Reaction score
I am back after being afk for almost a year
but I am nearly done with my kart
and I wanted to show her of
she ain't fast she ain't to pretty
but she is weird and she is mine

meet my rotary powered kart
the engine is a sachs KM3 (110cc 3hp)
and it powers the axle with the use of a variomatic (torque converter)
the current top speed is 30km/h

I will upload a video when I am done editing
but for now have one engine test video
a driving test
and a general test

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-22 at 17.02.20.jpeg

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Neat way to do it, guessing since only 3hp. that any 18vdc drill would do it. No kickback worries.
Curious about your fuel delivery from tank to motor. Fuel line's clearly seen, top of tank down to frame thru filter up to carb.
Question is if that's a fuel pump mounted on its side against the carb that it goes to. If so, is it a pulse driven pump, and how does that work with a rotary engine? Wouldn't have the same kind of pulsing as a reciprocating engine.
If not, how's it work?

robot797

Reaction score
the carb has a build in pump that reacts on a low pulse
the rotor has minimum amount of pressure left when its past the exhaust and that interrupts the intake vacuum long enough for the pump to work
for most puls pumps this is to low but that are 3 so far I have found that work
on bigger 2stroke wankels the puls is collected 90 degrees after the intake
at that point the chamer is almost at max capasety and then you have a big puls

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Thanks for info. I don't absolutely have to understand all and every thing, but yet and still, those unknowns keep me awake at night. I get axle grease and chain lube on me in my sleep.

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Believe he was joking about something getting on me in my sleep. Pretty dang funny, actually.
Side note: Saw a "How It's Made" episode just the other day where they milled and made a little palm-sized rotary (a la Mr. Wankel) engine for steam, and it was very informative. Had no idea how much engineering went into the case itself, when it looks like all the work is done by the rotating assembly.

Denny

Canned Monster
Reaction score
WANKLE used to be a banned “dirty” word on this kid friendly site. I am glad it is kid friendly but that was going too far. 😂 glad they finally got that bug sorted out.

robot797

Reaction score
i think it looked to much like wanker and that that is the reason why it got added

madprofessor

"Loose Cannon Creations"
Reaction score
Ah hah! I get it! Kurt Russell and Sylvester Stallone in that buddy cop movie. "You bloody wanker!" Love that funky Australian accent, cracks me up all the time.
That's the movie that got everybody saying "FUBAR", hope that one's not banned too, too funny.

robot797

Reaction score
today I removed the ignition points and capasitor
and it now uses a nova 2 as a ignition module
it works great
tomorrow a test run
I hope I have a camera person so that I can start making the full youtube video

79customs

Reaction score
Hey I'm from New Zealand and just bought a km3 engine. I'm looking at putting it onto something for fun.

What carburetor are you running? There was a guy from nz who built the km3 pedal car. He has a 15mm mikuni with a hole drilled into the engine for the pulse.

With your top speed being 30, is that speed limited by the power or the gearing? Just getting a sense of how much power is available.
Cheers

robot797

Reaction score
my current speed is 40 (after the nova 2)
and I am using a tillotson HL244A
it wont run great on it but it works
and for the pulse I just use the intake (make a plastic or metal spacer with a slanted hole to the pulse port of the carb)
I could make a pic of my spacer is you need it

79customs

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of doing more of a pedal car build for it. 40 seems more than reasonable for that. Pic of the spacer would be a help. I have found a video of my engine that was posted a couple years ago. That guy added toyota points and electronic coil. Only downside is it now needs external 12v to run.