Finally Got One

Status
Not open for further replies.

2or3wheels

Reaction score
I finally got a welder. Its arc but it was only $20 so i cant complain. Wondering all i do it ground the the metal im welding to and im off, also do you use rods as fillers and lay them out or push them into what your welding?

jr dragster T

Reaction score
as far as i know you just put the rod in the stinger and strike an arc no need to use another rod in your other hand to fill.

ryf

Reaction score
jr is right ARc welders use a rod in the clamp, grinding will help keep the joints uniform, but light rust/scale is not an issue, I would not weld through rust if its more than spotty.. often you can wire wheel light rust, this is easier and uses less "blades" as the wire wheels last darn near forever.

you may want to get a welding book on arc as there are ARC cutting rods commonly available, and they make for seriously dangerous welds. I believe the 60xx as are 70xx (60=60000 psi and 70=70,000 psi fillers I'm 98 percent sure of those 2, as I use them regularly for joining) are welding rods but you really need to read up find a chart somewhere to ID your best size and number for your project.

the extra rod methods are tig, brazing, and solder.

2or3wheels

Reaction score
ok good to know. I need to go and pick it up. Also im buying a running and riding mini bike 6hp and a frame thats been repainted with 3 poxes of parts, all for 100$ WHOO HOOO

ironman

I'm Back!
Reaction score
Arch welder got a few of them my self and a mig. those little arch welder 70 amps. works great make sure you use 6011 sticks and need to figure what size works great for you im using1/16,1/8and 5/32 sticks go to harbor frieghts buy them for $5 a 2 lb box works great.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
get at least a intro book on welding. there's things you need to know, like that you SHOULD NOT BREATHE FUMES OF ZINC COATED/GALVANIZED METAL.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
You might wanna get a fan or something even with the door open. In a garage, the air doesn't move very well by itself even with the door open.

jr dragster T

Reaction score
Yeah deffintaly get ventilation. I have a 8" 650 cfm blower with a homemade fume hood. virtually no smoke in the garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.