FINALLY got one!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
:smiley_omg:
OK , I finally got one! Now, what is it? Its got a spring front end and a spring rear end. The engine and axle all tilt together. It has a steel tank, and a big thick padded seat. Looks all original. Scrub brake and kick stand..... The scrub brake tells me its old, so now its time to start doing some research.....
Normally, I'd just throw this together to make it run. This one is getting striped and painted though. Gonna do it up right. Been waiting to see when the new Rupp 2 speed kits are going to be available. This has bolt holes, where the jack shaft was. I want to slap a 2 speed in there. :thumbsup:
OK , here is some pics. Do you know what it is? If you do, please let me know. Google here I come...... :lolgoku:

Attachments

• IMG_20150212_202417.jpg
    IMG_20150212_202417.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20150212_202256.jpg
    IMG_20150212_202256.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20150212_202228.jpg
    IMG_20150212_202228.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20150212_202205.jpg
    IMG_20150212_202205.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20150212_202150.jpg
    IMG_20150212_202150.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 38

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
:wai:
Well, I found it as a Sears Roper? Same images though..... :huh: It is from the early 70's I reckon. Hmmm, maybe it will be eBay bound...... :idea2: :kewlsmiley:
How collectible ate these? As good as a Rupp? Close? This one is pretty great shape. Steel tank is not rusty inside at all..... :wai:
EDIT
Its a Roper..... OMB has plenty of info on it. Maybe I'll just sell it.

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know nothing about how collectible they are..

but I thought they all go by trail tamers... and had "trail<something>" as a model name *shrugs*
I might be wrong though..

Anywhoo, IIRC there was a 2 speed version , that I'd bet will be pretty hard to get and thus collectible ;)

'sid

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought a Roper this last year, but it's just sat around in the garage. Turns out it that torque convertor was trash, but was cheap enough.....

Attachments

• IMG_5660.jpg
    IMG_5660.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5647.jpg
    IMG_5647.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 24

2SlickNick

American Minibikes @ FB
Reaction score
Score for Jim...
Those vintage bikes are going for a 200-500 in my area in that condition. You could sell it but you have been searching a while for one. Might as well relish in the fact that you have one now.

If it were me I would strip it down, get a real paint job or powder coat ( no spray cans) and do it up right. Keep it original as possible. Since those came with probably a 3 hp or something I would just get a OHV engine and the adapter plate from OMB. There won't be any lack of hp with a 6.5hp powering it. Also you are only drilling 4 holes in the motor mount plate if you decide to sell it ( not ruining it's vintage appeal).
That's just me though.
Regardless awesome lil bike.:cheers2:

itsid

Staff member
Reaction score
Cool little bike.
What are these two speed kits you speak of?

*shrugs* I'm not sure.. it sticked to my mind that there was a 2 speed sears...

maybe just the TC Robert mentioned ..

But I found a sears catalogue page...
SearsRoperTrailTamers-2.jpg

see.. 2 speed 5hp, single speed 4hp.

'sid

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jim if you're interested in re-doing it with the 2 speed, I have about a quarter of the parts, but they're crazy rusty. But let me know. I plan to do clutch or a modern TAV when I get to it.

Reaction score
He explained it to me a while ago on the chat. It's weird. You have like 2 clutches with one way bearings and it switches over when the rpm's get high enough or something.

Scrub brake... Good luck buddy!

firemanjim

Just kartin' around....
Reaction score
Got a pony in the race for a NOS 2 speed. Hope he wins..... :lolgoku:
Also got in a new temporary clutch. Hmmm, now it needs an engine. Gonna put a 212 for now. Gonna look around for an older Briggs or a period correct 2 stroke. I'm sure some people where putting in 2 strokes :lolgoku:
First order of business is to strip it down. I think once its stripped, I'm going to dip it in phosphate. It won't rust ever again,inside or out.... :lolgoku: a light rub with steel wool and a good bath, then shoot some enamel paint. I'm thinking about using the industrial safety yellow we have at work. Its REAL hard once cured. I might see how much to get it powder coated. Maybe even chromed. I know a guy..... Wonder what he would charge..... :huh: That would look pretty slick, although not original. Still, how sick would THAT be?! All chromed out.....
We will see what happens after dismantle.
On a side note, my wife has bought me time off from work. She fell and broke her ankle in 3 spots and had to have surgery this morning. :worried2::worried2:
Surgery was good. :thumbsup: she'll be on her feet again in a couple months. :thumbsup:
In the mean time, I'll be at home watching kids and working on this and my other kart project..... :cheers2:

Axx3d

Reaction score
Glad you are gonna go through it and bring it back to life buddy!!

Sorry about the wife man, that sux.. hopeully a speedy and safe recovery her way.

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jim this is a better shots of what I've got. I was wrong -- not part of the 2speed system. I did some research on it when I got it, but I've forgotten since then. :lolgoku: I'll have to look it back up -- but IIRC its maybe a Comet 20? It may not have ever actually gone on the Roper series, I really don't know.

Looks rough to me, and missing a good deal of the rest of the system, but one's man trash is another man's Ebay score! If it's the right piece and all that, let me know when you get to it and you can have it, just pay shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_5656.jpg
    IMG_5656.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5655.jpg
    IMG_5655.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5658.jpg
    IMG_5658.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 6

rmm727

Reaction score

rmm727

Reaction score
Since those came with probably a 3 hp or something I would just get a OHV engine and the adapter plate from OMB. There won't be any lack of hp with a 6.5hp powering it. Also you are only drilling 4 holes in the motor mount plate if you decide to sell it

Its only those DB30's/Motovox's that you need to use an adapter with. 3hp Briggs and 6.5 OHV use the same pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.