FED style Soap Box Racer

Status
Not open for further replies.

newrider3

Reaction score
So my school is having a run-what-you-brung type soap box derby race in a couple weeks. Since I'm home on spring break this week a friend and I decided to throw something together.
The only rules they set as far as design was mechanical steering and stopping capability, gravity power only.

We're going for a late '50s Front Engine Dragster look.

Started by lopping the front suspension and steering off an old golf kart with the gas axe. Cut a big chunk of oilfield pipe in half, sleeved it onto the stub, and arc welded it up.

Chopped up a stick of holey square tube (sign post) for various crossmembers. Also made some adapters from angle iron to mount 20" bmx wheels and tires to the golf kart spindles. We also welded on a school chair we procured during our last year in HS shop class.

He had some S10 wheels and tires laying around, so tomorrow when we take in scrap we're going to pick up a pair of front spindles and hubs, and one rotor and caliper from a 2WD S10/Sonoma. We're going to run that caliper off a motorcycle/atv master cylinder, on a hand control. Should provide plenty stout stopping power.

Yeah, it's a little janky right now, but we've got a little more refinement in store, and it'll get some attention from a grinder and a little paint before it's done.

Nodroz

Reaction score
Lolwat.

I'm participating in the redbull soapbox race in a few weeks in Brussels too. Goodluck!
Btw, your gokart looks nice. I love the springs. ;)

landuse

Staff member
Reaction score
I would seriously consider better front wheels. Those look like they would fold at any sideways pressure. Spoked wheels are not the best for stresses like you might put on it.

Just my 2c worth....

fowler

Reaction score
fix the punture before you race lol :auto:

i wouldnt worry about it its only flat at the bottom

looks good
our electric racer at school had issues with the bike wheels not being able to handle the sideways loads when mounted only on one side
and our EV would have been alot lighter that that soap box

that is going to be a beast racer, plenty of wieght

newrider3

Reaction score
Those are 48 spoke BMX wheels with 14mm axles (not the little 3/8" kids bikes have) so they're built to withstand sideloading experienced when landing jumps and rotations. Plus there are tons of quad-cycles online that run 14mm axles in single shear with no issues.

We went to the junkyard today and pulled the front spindle knuckles and hubs from a S10, along with one caliper. Also picked a master cylinder off a Yamaha streetbike.

Before anyone whines about this pic, trust me, it's plenty strong. The spindle knuckle is bolted to the bottom rail with a 5/8" bolt. The angled struts to the rear are just to hold the wheels aligned straight. None of this is going anywhere.

It steers great, has enough stopping power to lock the tire, and the wheels are fine after several trips down the street/up and down curbs. The front end is not as heavy as it looks.

Make some fake side pipes like dragsters have along the side.

I'm probably going to come up with a whole fake Flathead Ford V8.

newrider3

Reaction score
I finished up all the welding today, and threw a coat of black on the frame. Also made a brushed aluminum 'firewall' and a cowl bar, just need to scare up some sheetmetal to build a faux cowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.