Fabricated my own sprocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
So I got the sprocket for the differential all cut out and drilled. I am posting some pics of it. All I have to do now is shape the teeth.

Attachments

• sprocket-1.jpg
    sprocket-1.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 137
  • sprocket-2.jpg
    sprocket-2.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 218
  • sprocket-3.jpg
    sprocket-3.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 230
  • sprocket-4.jpg
    sprocket-4.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 259

RobertD

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
dude that's nuts and awesome that you're fabbing that.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
It took forever and several metal cutting blades lost their lives (rest their little souls) to cut it out. Drilling it out wasn't too bad and that got done quickly. I just need to grind down some areas with the dremel and it'll be good to go.

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Finished the sprocket. Has some imperfections but nothing serious. Here are the last few pics as I got it done:

Attachments

• done-1.jpg
    done-1.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 195
  • done-2.jpg
    done-2.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 175
  • done-3.jpg
    done-3.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 168
  • done-4.jpg
    done-4.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 208
  • done-5.jpg
    done-5.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 118

kibble

I banned myself
Reaction score
Ha ha! No, it wasn't. I could have bought one for WAY cheaper. The 1ft square of 1/4" plate cost $30 at Lowes (which I'm sure I could have gotten cheaper somewhere else but, that would require more searching for stuff) and then it was about 6 hours worth of work spread over a few days that I had to do to it. I had to make it though because I could not find ANYTHING even close to what I was looking for and I searched for days. I even tried looking for one that I could just modify a bit. Then I found that sprocket program and I decided I would just go for it. Besides, it's a good learning experience and if I ever need to make one later on I know what to do better and what not to do. It turned out pretty good though and it works as it should. The chain doesn't get stuck or anything.

GoAlterBridge

Reaction score
Dude, that almost looks like it's factory made. Great job!!! I might do that since I can get the plate for free. It'll be hard but, hey, atleast I'll know how to do it in a pinch or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.