Fab Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonydotigr

Reaction score
Just got a new welder and I'm looking for a project. Was thinking the go-kart I always wanted and fabricating it would be a good combo.

Was looking at the kartfab dot com deluxe kit. Wanted to get thoughts on it before I start. The parts kit does seem a bit expensive, but I understand there was a lot of hard work put into the kit.

Wanted to get everyone's thoughts...

Also is there a cheaper place to source quality parts?

mckutzy

Reaction score
The criticality of these kits is a basic to knowledgable experience in assembling the frame. So not exactly a first no experience practice Kart...
If something fails... It could be serious...
As with most of these posts... Typically we suggest to do other things then work into the more experienced...

What's is the welding machine??? Pics...

OzFab

Reaction score
You could ask KartFab himself...

I tend to agree with these ^^^ guys, are you prepared to guarantee your inexperienced welding with your life? Get some practice first then rethink this in a few months...

anickode

Reaction score
There are a lot of parts beyond the frame you can make instead of buy, but I wouldn't advise it for an inexperienced weldor... Stuff like spindles and axle bearing hangers and brake pedals

What kind of welder did you get? That will be a key factor in deciding what you can build, what you should build, and what you should buy. Before you start burning together a kart frame, you should really buy some flat stock around 2" wide, and 1/8" to 1/4" thick (or both) and cut yourself a bunch of coupons and practice welding in varying positions and configurations.

Practice on cheap stuff, so you don't ruin the good stuff.

tonydotigr

Reaction score
I purchased a Hobart 140 MIG Welder. Have been watching a lot of videos, but plan to do a good amount of practice before welding anything critical for the cart.

I rolled with the Deluxe plan. Appreciate the fact all the parts and plans are laid out for this first timer.

Status
Not open for further replies.