F---!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orange Krate

Reaction score
That's spells Ford, but I called it the other f--- word and many more names recently. I bought this truck several years agao because I always liked these Fords. Sold it when my wife got pregnant...again. Just recently bought it back.

After 7 years of on/off owenership I finally got it on the road. You can see my celebratory outing to the malt shop pic. When I got it home and turned the key off the radiator blew. And then I realized, every Ford I've ever owned has had chronic overheating issues. that's when it became F---! (I'm sure all that brown gook that came out had nothing to do with it):ack2:

Anyway, I put in a new radiator and glassed the fan shroud back together(it was in 6 pieces, not realted to the radiator blowing) and painted it with rattle rhino liner(no pic) but it turned out pretty good for my first glass job.

Glad to have it back on the road and maybe back to work on my more pressing projects.

Attachments

• Frosty.JPG
    Frosty.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Blown.JPG
    Blown.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Blow Hole.JPG
    Blow Hole.JPG
    269.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Glass 1.JPG
    Glass 1.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 24
  • glass 3.JPG
    glass 3.JPG
    198.5 KB · Views: 21

fowler

Reaction score
pertty decent fibre glass job

im trying not to burst out laughing thinking of your situation
not that i laugh at others misfortune

drives home very happy with ones self
turns off key, rad blows then the Arrr f@#* moment

OzFab

Reaction score
I can honestly say I know the feeling, only worse; I didn't get home. I blew the radiator in the same car twice in the space of a month. Oh, & guess what; it was a Ford:roflol:

First time I was doing 140ks on a freeway & BOOM! Tore the hose in half & ripped the neck off.

A few weeks later, with a new radiator & hose, I had just parked at the local mall when I hear BOOM! I turned around to see a puddle building up under my car; F:censored:! Split the top tank in half...

It looks like you did a decent job destroying yours too... :ack2:

Nice glass job too. Be careful it doesn't rebreak on the outside. You may wanna think about putting a layer there too... just to be safe :thumbsup:

Orange Krate

Reaction score
Well, I drove it to work last night AND made it home. Loaded up my tools and drove it to our business and worked out of it all day. Then drove it to Home Depot and hauled a bunch off supplies back to the business and made it back home again, traversing the freeway at up 80 mph, with no blown radiators or problems to speak of. I'm gonna say it's road ready now:auto:

Attachments

• Fan Shroud.jpg
    Fan Shroud.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 12

Orange Krate

Reaction score
drives home very happy with ones self
turns off key, rad blows then the Arrr f@#* moment

That's almost EXACTLY how it went down..except for the few moments of dumbfounded confusion...almost silent save ofr the hissing of steam before:furious2::furious2::furious2:

BOOM! Tore the hose in half & ripped the neck off.

A few weeks later, with a new radiator & hose, I had just parked at the local mall when I hear BOOM! I turned around to see a puddle building up under my car; F:censored:! Split the top tank in half...

BOOM! exactly!

Actually, I'm really thankful. right before I got it inspected I saw it puking a little. I figured it was a bad radiator cap cause it had some dry cracks. I'm very luck it didn't go then! It helps to have the temp gauge working too

Orange Krate

Reaction score
Nice! Needs two motorcycles in the back. Don't you have a 57 Chevy the same color?

BTW, Didn't win anything at the car show. Didn't expect to, just needed a deadline to finish it.

anderkart

Reaction score
Ha! I've got that same little Hot Wheels truck. (but I've just now discovered mine is missing its dirt bikes...)

And I used to haul my 2 real dirt bikes in the back of my real 56 F100 truck ;)

_______

I sold my 57 chevy last year. I'd repainted it in the original Tropical Turquoise/India Ivory, 2-tone colors.

I've still got my 56 F100 and plan on getting it back on the road this winter. It was re-painted in the original 1956 'color style-D'. (baby-blue) when I did a frame-off restoration back in the mid-80's.

_______

I found that winning at some car shows are sometimes more of a popularity contest, than who's actually got the nicest car... I won second place at a big show with my 56 back when I'd first got it done. I knew most of the judges and thought there were a lot of other cars/trucks that deserved to win way before my truck shoulda even been considered...

_______

PS:
Here's a pic of my other 56, it was an F-600. Back when I was 18, I drove this behemoth everywhere just like pickup. I ran it with open headers sometimes, It had a very healthy-running V8/4-speed plus a 2-speed rear end. After awhile I got really good at speed-shifting it, and I could speed-shift it right though all 8 gears. It sounded freakin awesome with open headers, now I kinda wish I'd kept that ol-flatbed. It was originally painted baby-blue too, so I coulda restored it and hauled my matching F100 on it to car shows and stuff...

Attachments

• My 56 F-100 002.jpg
    My 56 F-100 002.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 12

Orange Krate

Reaction score
I love them old flatheads! My brother's got an f7 he'll never get to but he wants to ditch the flathead for a Cummins. Wehn I sell this ford I'm going to put the money into my 55 Chevy tudor post, which will be a forever car for me. But I halfway want to get his flathead and do a rat rod in between.

xXPOEDUNKXx

Reaction score
sense we all seem to be share pics of our f___word Here is my 1972 f250 custom with a 429 Running 35in BFG's theres only one thing this truck cant make it through with out stopping and thats a gas station lol

Attachments

• fword.jpg
    fword.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 16

Orange Krate

Reaction score
Nice! I was indoctrinated to the Bumpside Fords with this '72 from my childhood. I would like to have a highboy...thought about saving my 70's near perfect body for it but I've got too many projects. If I get one, it'll have to be rolling complete.

jamyers

Reaction score
Did somebody say F---? Mine rolled over 200K last year, after we brought it back from near-death. Although older Fords seem awful hard to kill...

Attachments

• 100_1630.jpg
    100_1630.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 9

Orange Krate

Reaction score
Did someone say Ranchero?? My accountant has one just like Old Yeller there. That's when they were cool.

On the other hand I drove one just like this in highschool. "ugliest f/n thing Ford built in the 70s." It's funny because it's true!!!
**warning: explicent descriptions of an ugly car**

Orange Krate

Reaction score
I guess I haven’t done much actual “building” in this thread because I’ve posted it at the end. So here’s what all I’ve done over the span of 7 years:

Towed home a basket case
Painted engine bay
Swapped in a 360 long block
Rebuilt the C4 automatic
(To my shame)let it sit for 5 years while I started a business, then had twins…and then another “surprise!” kid

I sold it to a friend who:
Put in a new gas tank
Swapped out a rebuilt carb
Spent over $1,000 on it and
GOT IT RUNNING!

When he built a house I:
Bought it back for $150 more than I sold it for
Put on a good set of used tires
Fixed various loose and wobblies
Patched up a lot of wiring
Rightend several vacuum lines
Replaced turn signal cam
Rerigged license plate light
Got it legal
Blew up radiator
Replaced radiator
Rebuilt fan shroud
Replaced accelerator pump
Cleaned and polished
Painted bumper and tailgate

Now that I’ve used it as reliable transportation, put it in a car show and taken my wife out on a date in it I think I’m finally ready to sell it. I gotta get some good finished pics first and video and then it’s going on Craigslist. Good timing too because thanks to Fast N Loud on the Discovery channel…the value of these bumpside Fords have gone way up.

Sad though, I really like this truck…gonna miss it but, I got a ’55 Chevy that REALLY needs to come out of the barn and this should finance most of that build dubbed…The Fieldcar.

Attachments

• Bumper.jpg
    Bumper.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 5

jamyers

Reaction score
Did someone say Ranchero?? My accountant has one just like Old Yeller there. That's when they were cool.

On the other hand I drove one just like this in highschool. "ugliest f/n thing Ford built in the 70s." It's funny because it's true!!!
**warning: explicent descriptions of an ugly car**

That IS funny, you just made my whole week!!! :D:D:D

Yup, '62 Ranchero, 200 straight six, column shift, power nothing. I did add underdash a/c, though. Remember the old seat cushions you could get, that had spiral-wound wires in them for air circulation between your butt/back and the vinyl seats? Wish I could find some...

Anyways, You seriously need to KEEP that pickup, imho - especially now that you know what's been done to it.

(as an aside, I hate those car-flipper shows like "Fast N Loud", my 11-year-old kid could do better quality work - did you see the recent one showing them putting a 302 into a '62 Ranchero using a sledge to get a steering box to fit and then keeping the NOTORIOUSLY CRAPPY 7.5" rear end, single-pot master cylinder and 8" drum brakes? And then some moron comes along and pays $15K for a shiny death-trap, sheesh...)

Anyways, I'd keep it - and replace the blowed up radiator with a decent 2-core aluminum one. Keep decent coolant in it and it'll go for another 40 years.

I love those era Ford pickups! Remember "Mr. Majestyk"? and the old "Built Ford Tough" commercials? Gotta love watching them smash through and over stuff! :cheers2:

Status
Not open for further replies.