exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony

Reaction score
hi I need to know some opinions on what kind of exhaust is best to use on a 2 cycle engine. I dont want to make a tuned pipe. (to much math) And i would prefer something simple. The engine Is a 4hp Tecumseh.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
R chez, with a two stroke backpressure is very important. A two stroke without the proper backpressure will never run right, those exhaust are great for 4 strokes but with a 2 stroke will be nothing but problems.

Tony, i understand you dont want to make a tuned pipe, but trust me it will be very worth it. you could just buy a used one, probably something from an 60-85cc dirtbike would be good, maybe a 125 tops. I've seen calculators for making tuned pipes that make it very easy, but cant recall where.

Tony

Reaction score
I think i probably will make a tuned pipe. I heard every tuned pipe will be different so a 100cc honda will not work on a 100cc yahmaha because of timing, exhaust temp, ect. I have the website for the calculator but it just seems very hard to calculate the math involved.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
It is true that every pipe will be different, but a pipe from a 85cc 2 stroke on your tec. will be much better than a straight pipe. If you need help come back here, im no math wiz but i may be able to help, and im sure others will help too. Also if you could post the link that would be great.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
that does seem complicated but they explain it fairly well, i understand the exhaust port and transfer port angles. And for the exhaust temp just get a decent digital thermometer and hold it in from of the muffler for a few minutes and that should give you a reading that is a little lower that the actual temp (it may cool a few thousands of a degree while in the muffler).

Tony

Reaction score
i remember seeing a chart somewhere of the exhaust and transfer angles but i cant remember... it might have been on that site or another rc boat website...

Affair_driven

BULL DETECTOR
Reaction score
Simplest and least expensive method is a straight pipe or no pipe at all.
2 stroke utility engines engines are not dependent on back pressure.
If you don't want to go the expense of a expansion chamber, a megaphone is next best thing. It'll be noisy but worth it. Won't hurt anything.
An improperly tuned pipe can work against you.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Simplest and least expensive method is a straight pipe or no pipe at all.
2 stroke utility engines engines are not dependent on back pressure.
If you don't want to go the expense of a expansion chamber, a megaphone is next best thing. It'll be noisy but worth it. Won't hurt anything.
An improperly tuned pipe can work against you.

Do you consider weed wackers and chainsaws utility engines? if so they do depend on backpressure.

Tony

Reaction score
how long should a megaphone be for a 85cc? I just want something to improve preformance well i figure out dimensions on an expansion chamber. Also this is from a snowblower. And i dont want a straigt pipe because the powerband is very small.

Affair_driven

BULL DETECTOR
Reaction score
Tecumseh engines are low performance no matter how you slice them. In my opinion, the math involved to get what you want will give you little bang for the buck.
Is this a reed valve engine or piston ported?

Affair_driven

BULL DETECTOR
Reaction score
Do you consider weed wackers and chainsaws utility engines? if so they do depend on backpressure.
Weedies are junk at best. Professional saws use flame arresters and not mufflers. Home saws use mufflers for obvious reasons.
Take the muffler off any weedie or home saw and see/feel the difference in power.
The same cannot be said for 4 strokes.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Well i had a **** weed eater and took the muffler off, never ran right after that, although when it did run right it had good power (clean the carb atleast 3 times and rebuilt it once). I have a Mcculloch 10-10 pro saw (when Mcculloch wasnt crap) from the mid 70's on a MTN bike and your right, it has no exhaust just a very small chamber with a grate over it, and man that things a beast.

Affair_driven

BULL DETECTOR
Reaction score
Removing muffler will cause engine to use more fuel.
It's a good idea to use a carb that is not emissions compliant. Using original emissions carb may be reason why yours are not running right.

Tony

Reaction score
Well i had a **** weed eater and took the muffler off, never ran right after that, although when it did run right it had good power (clean the carb atleast 3 times and rebuilt it once). I have a Mcculloch 10-10 pro saw (when Mcculloch wasnt crap) from the mid 70's on a MTN bike and your right, it has no exhaust just a very small chamber with a grate over it, and man that things a beast.

I have a Mcculloch 250. The muffler on that thing is a joke. About a 2in. triangle thing with big holes on the end. I used to have a mcculloch 1-43. I took that thing apart and I'm making it into a kart engine. 80cc, I'm deffinitly putting a tuned pipe on that and probly put it on my mini bike or on another one i make.

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Removing muffler will cause engine to use more fuel.
It's a good idea to use a carb that is not emissions compliant. Using original emissions carb may be reason why yours are not running right.

I'm sure thats it, but the only other carbs i have are 42mm mikunis (got 3 but i think those are a little bit too big :roflol: ).

Status
Not open for further replies.