Exhaust building 101....

Status
Not open for further replies.

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
That would look pretty awesome at night.

O!, now theres a good idea! Mabe ill do that one night soon and post a pic :arf: Would this be caused by a rich mixture?

danjwant, Click on the section on the forum you want to post on and click the 'New Thread' button near the top

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
Just as long as your exhaust doesnt come out over the gas tank like some briggs. Wouldnt want a flame shooting over a tank of flammable liquid

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
Buy the shortest pipe nipple you can get and a 90* fitting, then put it on your Briggs. Shouldnt be more than about 3-4" of pipe. If your mixture is rich enough, you will then have a crazy awesome flame-shooting engine.:sifone:

chabat

Reaction score
Exhaust - can it be quieter?

I have a kart, we ride it at home, so it is just yard, not racing or anything. It is a stock GX Clone, 6.5hp. It has plenty of power for the kiddos, but is there a way I can muffle the sound even further? I would like it a little quieter even if it loses a little power. Anything I can do?:idea2:

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
I have a kart, we ride it at home, so it is just yard, not racing or anything. It is a stock GX Clone, 6.5hp. It has plenty of power for the kiddos, but is there a way I can muffle the sound even further? I would like it a little quieter even if it loses a little power. Anything I can do?:idea2:

Put a car muffler on it, it will be very quiet, no great losses in power either.

Thanks

Hayden

Sleepy122CID

Reaction score
I'm going to have to build an exhaust for my 13hp clone to fit it on my chassis without modifying the cage. I'm guessing a straight pipe is going to be loud as sin. How much will one of those RLV silencers help? How restrictive are those compared to an actual muffler?

devino246

Official DIYGK Chem Nerd
Reaction score
I'm going to have to build an exhaust for my 13hp clone to fit it on my chassis without modifying the cage. I'm guessing a straight pipe is going to be loud as sin. How much will one of those RLV silencers help? How restrictive are those compared to an actual muffler?

Just make the pipe about 18" long and it'll be real quiet. I made a cool looping one. It looks like crap but its pretty quiet and makes a great sound.

Sleepy122CID

Reaction score
Ok I was planning on making it pretty long anyway, so I'll see how it sounds before I try and quiet it down. I have a couple more questions. On this 13hp clone the exhaust pipe that goes from the head to the muffler comes straight up from the head even though it is bolted to the side (I'm assuming most everybody has seen this, but I'll post pictures if necessary). Even though it is a very tight 90* turn there, it looks like it wouldn't flow too terribly the way it is cast. Would it be ok to build off this pipe (otherwise I'll have to loop it out and around the roll cage), or would it benefit me greatly to make a softer turn straight from the head? I plan on basically doing pie cuts for the entire exhaust instead of welding bends together just so I can practice welding tubing, so I may use slightly larger piping than normal in case I have a little weld bleed through restricting the inside.

Also, what is the minimum wall thickness I should be using?

Kaptain Krunch

Pro Junk Collector
Reaction score
Exhaust systems can be very thin, its up to you, and the thickness your welder can weld. I would use something like .095 wall or thinner.

davidwilsoon

Reaction score
So if "no engine technically need back pressure" go and take the complete exhaust off a 2 stroke engine please. When you do that tell me how it runs.
2 stroke engines NEED back pressure to run properly.

I just want to point out that I wasn't trying to prove or disprove the theory about burning the exhaust valves. I thought the page I found was an interesting discussion, and I pretty much drew the same conclusion that you have, Russ.

Last edited by a moderator:

redsox985

Reaction score
I'm glad this was bumped because I didn't know it was here, I'm considering straight piping my clone but I'm wary of the noise in my neighborhood. But, please, David, remove the link from your signature if it is a link to pirated movies because that can cause just one more headache.

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
Okay because this is about exhausts I hope you guys don't mind me asking a quick question. I don't know if this has been covered, but what exactly do stages do? How do they affect performance and air flow?

brandongeiger2

Reaction score
Okay because this is about exhausts I hope you guys don't mind me asking a quick question. I don't know if this has been covered, but what exactly do stages do? How do they affect performance and air flow?

I'm not completely sure but i think they increase flow without shortening the pipe(which would increase sound) anyone else have a better explanation???

CaptCanadia

Reaction score
Oh that's cool so I'm guessing that makes it better then single stage. Thanks for the info, I hope someone else has some more info to offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.