engines with electric hook up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

02mx-5

Reaction score
I would like to make a street legal mini bike. I dont see why it cant be done because there are small vespas and yamahas and old hondas. I want to know if there are any clone engines, or similar, that have electric hook ups to power lights. I think on a scooter you just need head and tail lights, brake lights and blinkers.

lemegacool

got boost? :)
Reaction score
to add a charging coil you will need a flywheel that haves extra magnets on the inside... try to find an engine with a electric starter... they have a charging coil in them...

use the magneto to charge a battery and run the lights off the battery.... directly off the magneto will not work

02mx-5

Reaction score
yea i know about the lights, I said that in my first post. Thats why i need an engine that can power them. I dont understand what "Needs a 50cc engine to be a moped" has to do with it. You can still register vehicles that have larger engines but are not motorcycles. Like this yamaha http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelspecs/608/0/specs.aspx. Theres a kid in my town with an oldschool honda? moped. It has a 50cc engine and has a plate on it. he rides on everyroad, as long as he can match the speed limit.

02mx-5

Reaction score
Also, i heard you cannot register the doodlebug because it was made with a specific title which means its for offroad only. However, you can usually register "kit" products as specialty and kit vehicles. So i guess you can buy a mini bike kit, which is basically a doodle bug and add lights and blinker. Imagine what fun a street legal DB would be

pizza1424

Reaction score
is there any engine out there that has electric start that i could look up and put those parts on my motor , any one hear of a hammer head motor was at my local store they use that motor but he what 350 for the whole motor it has electric start and its a 6.5 was looking for the flywheel and starter no luck yet

sideways

Unfinished projects king.
Reaction score
you will probably need to get your design(and final product) confirmed by an enginer which will probably cost you more than the bike would be worth.

I dont know what the laws in america are but here in australia you need a bike licence to ride anything over 50cc on the roads. Get a scooter engine with the wiring loom, it will have every thing you need and probably be easyer/cheaper than using a clone.

Hayden

motor_head

expert garbage picker
Reaction score
mopeds can be over 50cc there is a thing called a motorized bicycle and they must be under 50cc otherwise they are classified as mopeds and must be licensed may be that it what you are thinking of

Status
Not open for further replies.