Engine won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

falcon1

New member
Messages
116
Reaction score
1
Location
I'll keep this to myself...
I took the spark plug out and cleaned it. Thought that would fix the problem. Didn't. The gas may be old, but this morning I used gas from the same can to operate a leaf blower. Any ideas? The motor is from my pocketbike and is a single cylinder 48 (I think) cc engine. It has always had problems starting.
 

klicky96

New member
Messages
558
Reaction score
0
Location
Sandusky, Ohio
Is it getting gas through the carb? Is there any compression? Is it grounded out? Is the Coil bad? We need some more info before we can make assumptions.
 

falcon1

New member
Messages
116
Reaction score
1
Location
I'll keep this to myself...
Sorry. There's not much else to say. You can pull the cord all you want, but it won't ignite. You can smell gas while pulling the coord, but the fuel line isn't broken or leaky. It will occasionally choke, like it is about to start, but nothing more. There is resistance on the coord, and I can see it catching so that isn't the problem. I cleaned the spark plug and it still won't start.
 

klicky96

New member
Messages
558
Reaction score
0
Location
Sandusky, Ohio
Pour a teaspoon of gas into the cylinder where the spark plug goes. Put the plug back in. Pull the string. If it fires then it has to be something to do with the gas getting through the carb. If it doesn't then there is probably an ignition problem, meaning your coil might be bad, you may need a new plug, or it may be grounded out.
 

r_chez_08

Should be in the shop...
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
12
Location
Cornwall, UK
Fuel- test
Pour a teaspoon of gas into the cylinder where the spark plug goes. Put the plug back in. Pull the string. If it fires then it has to be something to do with the gas getting through the carb.

Spark- Put the plug against an earth and pull the cord. You should get a nice bright spark

Compression- You say you have resistance- this should be enough to tell. However you can use a compression tester to test.

Valves (if 4 stroke)- check the lifters/ valves are correctly placed

Ignition timing- check the ignition timing is correct.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top